Dog food seems pretty recession resistant. So we found 4 pet stocks with a lot of leverage in this growth market.
The market for premium dog food has risen a worldview-shattering 175% over the last 15 years. You'd be hard-pressed to find another consumer good whose prices could maintain that kind of trajectory.
Just try and picture the riots if gas prices grew at the same rate over a similar period. Actually we can. It wasn't pretty.
While it doesn't seem likely that Petco will have to start rationing its kibble anytime soon, it is a fairly striking trend — even if you are a doting pet-owner. People are willing to spend a lot more on their pets now than they were as few as five years ago.
That's not all that's motivating the trend, however. People are also getting more pets: dog-ownership climbed above 50% this year. This means Americans are starting to spend more on pet products on the high and low-priced end.
The 15-year period of the sample is actually big enough to include both booming and busting economic environments. And yet the trend has remained pretty consistent, indicating that the kind of people who buy premium dog food aren't that swayed by how the economy is doing.
So the question on an investor's mind is this: are there more undervalued pet stocks? In case you're inclined to believe that Americans have only just begun to come around on swankier goods for their pets, we found 4 pet stocks that will have a lot of leverage on increased consumer spending.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
1. PetMed Express Inc. (PETS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Markets non-prescription and prescription pet medications; and other health products for dogs, cats, and horses. Market cap at $263.88M, most recent closing price at $12.94.
2. Aratana Therapeutics, Inc. (PETX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on the licensing, acquisition, development, and commercialization of biopharmaceutical products for cats, dogs, and other companion animals worldwide. Market cap at $420.64M, most recent closing price at $15.33.
3. PetSmart, Inc. (PETM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty retailer of products, services, and solutions for pets in North America. Market cap at $6.81B, most recent closing price at $69.03.
4. Central Garden & Pet Co. (CENT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Produces and sells products for the pet, and lawn and garden supplies industries primarily in the United States. Market cap at $420.22M, most recent closing price at $8.42.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- PetMed Express Inc.(PETS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Aratana Therapeutics, Inc.(PETX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- PetSmart, Inc.(PETM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Central Garden & Pet Co.(CENT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.