Samsung is reportedly releasing the Galaxy S IV on March 14 (or pi day). The specifications (as reported from EVLeaks) are as follows:
· 5” 1080p OLED display
· 13MP camera
· 2GB RAM
The companies speculated to be suppliers for the Galaxy IV are very likely. Universal Display (PANL) is already reportedly confirmed to be the display provider for the S IV.. Recall that Samsung sold 40 million Galaxy III devices. Samsung sells 190,000 S III devices daily, and sold 100 million Galaxy S smartphones in total.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
The companies who could (or are, in some cases) supply parts for the Galaxy S 4 include:
1-Year Comparative Return
1. QUALCOMM Incorporated (QCOM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Qualcomm’s main competitive pressures come from the 4G baseband market. If 4G-only smartphones grow, Qualcomm’s advantage in supplying multi-modes would be reduced. NVIDIA (NVDA) is trying to compete with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon through its Tegra 4 release.
Engages in the development, design, manufacture, and marketing of digital wireless telecommunications products and services. Market cap at $115.18B, most recent closing price at $67.04.
2. Universal Display Corp. (PANL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Universal Display makes OLED host emitter material. The S IV will use the company’s material, since power efficiency improves by 25% using OLED. The large 5-inch screen will benefit Universal Display, but the company is trying to enter the OLED television market. Until this happens, investors should expect upside to be limited.
Universal Display is up 55% from a low reached in November 2012, closing recently at $33.42.
Engages in the research, development, and commercialization of organic light emitting diode (OLED) technologies and materials for use in flat panel display, solid-state lighting, and other product applications. Market cap at $1.51B, most recent closing price at $32.68.
3. Maxim Integrated Products Inc. (MXIM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Maxim makes transistors, and forecast quarterly revenue of $580 million to $610 million. Earnings are expected to be $0.39 to $0.43 per share. Maxim shares currently pay a dividend that yields 3.10%.
Designs, develops, manufactures, and markets a range of linear and mixed-signal integrated circuits worldwide. Market cap at $9.48B, most recent closing price at $32.41.
4. Skyworks Solutions Inc. (SWKS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Skyworks shares sold-off recently from $25, closing at $21.40 recently. In its most recent quarter, the company grew revenue in the double digits. Earnings grew 16% from the previous year. The wireless-chip supplier also sells to home appliance and medical sensor makers. Skyworks expects to earn $0.47 per share this quarter. Sales are anticipated to be $420 million.
Offers analog and mixed signal semiconductors worldwide. Market cap at $4.13B, most recent closing price at $21.51.
(List compiled by Chris Lau)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)