Tropical storm Beryl brought heavy rains to Florida, drenching groves, and causing a 2.3% jump in orange juice futures. It is unknown if the rain will be beneficial or not to the crops, but the news was enough to send traders into a frenzy to cover their short positions to lock in profits.
The futures gained as much as 7.9% during the day Tuesday, while the front month contract was 3.9% higher at $1.1355 per pound at midday after hitting a 2-week high during the day at $1.1735.
The futures have dropped over the past few months from weak demand and low amounts of market-related news. This news is the most relevant that they have seen in months.
Futures traders generally watch hurricanes and tropical storms very closely, and each storm is looked at individually. Tropical storms Beryl and Bud’s early arrivals are creating concerns that this year’s hurricane season could be bigger, longer, and more intense than other years.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
If the storms end up hurting the crops, beverage companies will not have as much supply to sell. They all hire firms to hedge the commodity prices with futures, but without the goods to produce their product, the companies might take a hit in revenue.
Below is a list of U.S. headquartered non-alcoholic beverage companies. How do you think these companies will fare if this summer is especially stormy?
List sorted by market cap.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
2. Pepsico, Inc. (PEP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture, marketing, and sale of foods, snacks, and carbonated and non-carbonated beverages worldwide. Market cap at $108.35B, most recent closing price at $68.88.
4. Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and distribution of non-alcoholic beverages in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $8.7B, most recent closing price at $41.05.
6. National Beverage Corp. (FIZZ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, markets, and distributes beverage products in the United States. Market cap at $658.38M, most recent closing price at $14.03.
7. Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (COKE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production, marketing, and distribution of nonalcoholic beverages, primarily products of The Coca-Cola Company. Market cap at $565.72M, most recent closing price at $60.85.
(Written by Danny Guttridge)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Pepsico, Inc. (PEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Monster Beverage Corporation (MNST, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc. (CCE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- National Beverage Corp. (FIZZ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (COKE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter