StockTwits, is a great way to get insight into what is happening in the markets. Trending tickers are “cashtagged” ($GOOG) and people use these tags to create forums to discuss the news surrounding particular companies.
We checked in at the close to see what the big stories were today.
LinkedIn will be reporting earning following the closing bell and investors are awaiting to see if this tech company can post profits and regenerate confidence in the sector, while at the same time Facebook tanked to new lows. It is now at almost half its initial value.
And what would a day be without an executive being accused of insider trading? Well played, Bristol-Myers Squibb.
It’s been a pretty exciting day, and we’re glad to see some recognizable winners on an overall down day for the markets.
Here are the afternoon’s most discussed tickers, including some stocktweets:
1. LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates an online professional network. Market cap at $9.88B, most recent closing price at $95.70. Earnings coming an hour after the close, stock down 2.2% in anticipation. Gregnb tweets, “Not playing $LNKD but think they beat.”
2. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the specialty coffee and coffee maker business. Market cap at $2.78B, most recent closing price at $21.68. Closed up over 26%, traded at 5x daily volume. Jeg_m tweets, “$GMCR we can see more sell off tomorrow !”
3. Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc. (RGR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of firearms in the United States. Market cap at $940.65M, most recent closing price at $45.36. Closed down over 6% following earnings report. Bbolan1 tweets, “$RGR Challenged in metal availability more than costs. Implies that costs can continue to increase even more in the future.”
4. Facebook, Inc. (FB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Market cap at $44.64B, most recent closing price at $20.51. Facebook has lost almost half its value since the IPO, was under $20 at one point, closed at $20.01. Investors still seem bearish. Slapthatask tweets, “$FB I’m not expecting a rally any time soon… http://stks.co/h37D.”
5. Kinross Gold Corporation (KGC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in mining and processing gold ores. Market cap at $9.05B, most recent closing price at $7.80. Finished down near 5.5%, investors worries about this company, just hired a new CEO. Inforvestment tweets, “$KGC flushing down the toilet.KCG just bought Penson,Penson clinets watch out!!! your segregated accounts might be”MF Globalized” $$ #MKT.”
6. Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp. (KOG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the acquisition, exploration, exploitation, development, and production of natural gas and crude oil in the United States. Market cap at $2.15B, most recent closing price at $8.11. Closed down near 7.25%, another bearish trend. Hartl tweets, “$KOG Same old with this one – i will bail as soon as I can – cant be trusted.”
7. First Solar, Inc. (FSLR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): First Solar, Inc. manufactures and sells solar modules using a thin-film semiconductor technology. Market cap at $1.28B, most recent closing price at $17.19. Closed up 21.15%, sell-sides don’t seem to think it will stay at current levels. TMTanalyst tweets, “JPM on $FSLR ‘Todays Stock Price Outperformance is Overdone; However, It Does Provide A Good Entry For Short Positions’”.
8. Gap Inc. (GPS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty retailing company. Market cap at $14.39B, most recent closing price at $32.26. Rallied today, has been rallying well over the last 200 days, earnings to come soon. BengCap tweets, “Hearing $GPS strong today on news that T Bone Piggins will model new fall line.”
9. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and delivers innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. Market cap at $60.13B, most recent closing price at $33.18. Down over 8.5%, insider trading lawsuit hitting an executive. Bezinga tweets, “$BMY $AMLN Bristol-Myers Executive Charged with Insider Trading: http://stks.co/h372.”
10. Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapeutics for the treatment of life threatening diseases worldwide. Market cap at $40.62B, most recent closing price at $57.77. Up almost 7% today, MikeBellafiore tweets, “so $GILD just broke to the downside again. Should I just cover my shorts here before getting stopped w a wick? http://dcl.sr/e1P.”
Compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned above:
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc. (RGR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Facebook, Inc. (FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Kinross Gold Corporation (KGC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Kodiak Oil & Gas Corp. (KOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- First Solar, Inc. (FSLR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Gap Inc. (GPS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.