According to Forbes, 84 year old T. Boone Pickens, chairman of hedge fund BP Capital Management is worth $1.4 billion. He made the majority of his fortune in energy related companies, which remains he specialty of the firm today, keeping a focus on oil, natural gas and nuclear energy.
Some Background and Strategy
Mr. Pickens made a name for himself through mergers and acquisitions in the 1980’s. He founded the company Mesa Petroleum in the 50′s and by 1981 it was one of the largest independent oil companies. From there he bought up other energy companies, expanding Mesa.
“Boone Pickens” management was established in 1997. The company has two divisions, Capital Commodities and Capital Equities, and has made billions by trading in the energies sector. Mr. Pickens is a big supporter of clean energies like wind power and natural gas, and takes an active role in the companies he invests in.
Boone made headlines not long ago for a Twitter interaction he had with the rapper Drake. Drake tweeted, “The first million is the hardest.” to which Boone responded, “The first billion is a helluva lot harder RT @Drake: The first million is the hardest.” Drake concluded the conversation writing, “@boonepickens just stunted on me heavy.” Looks like Drake still has a thing or two to learn.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
If you’re interested in the energy sector, these top holdings of BP Capital could be one of the best places to begin your analysis. Pickens’ firm has made billions on these companies alone, may not be a bad idea to see what they’re up to over there.
List sorted in descending order of weight in his portfolio.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
1. BP plc (BP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, retail services, and petrochemicals products. Market cap at $132.18B, most recent closing price at $41.74.
2. Encana Corporation (ECA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the exploration for, development, production, and marketing of natural gas and natural gas liquids primarily in Canada and the United States. Market cap at $14.49B, most recent closing price at $20.51.
3. National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, constructs, manufactures, and sells systems, components, and products used in oil and gas drilling and production; provides oilfield services and supplies; and distributes products, and provides supply chain integration services to the upstream oil and gas industry worldwide. Market cap at $29.24B, most recent closing price at $69.01.
4. Devon Energy Corporation (DVN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the acquisition, exploration, development, and production of natural gas and oil in the United States and Canada. Market cap at $22.75B, most recent closing price at $58.73.
6. Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the acquisition, development, exploration, and production of natural gas and oil properties in the United States. Market cap at $12.7B, most recent closing price at $19.20.
7. Weatherford International Ltd. (WFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides equipment and services used in the drilling, evaluation, completion, production, and intervention of oil and natural gas wells to independent oil and natural gas producing companies worldwide. Market cap at $9.11B, most recent closing price at $12.82.
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- BP plc (BP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Encana Corporation (ECA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Devon Energy Corporation (DVN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Transocean Ltd. (RIG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Weatherford International Ltd. (WFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SandRidge Energy, Inc. (SD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dawson Geophysical Co. (DWSN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Suncor Energy Inc. (SU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.