Steven “Steve” A. Cohen (born 11 June 1956) is an American hedge fund manager. He is the founder of SAC Capital Advisors, a Stamford, Connecticut-based hedge fund focusing primarily on equity market strategies.
He has an estimated net worth of $8.3 billion as of March 2012, ranked by Forbesas the 35th richest man in America. Born in Great Neck, NY, he took a liking to poker as a high school student, often betting his own money in tournaments. Cohen credits the game with teaching him “how to take risks.” While in school, a friend helped him open a brokerage account with $1,000 of his tuition money.
SAC began as a trading-oriented firm, focused on trading liquid, large cap stocks. Over the years, they have branched out into fundamental and quantitative strategies.The group manages $14 billion in assets across four independent portfolios, each with a distinct strategy. According to Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine, SAC Capital Advisors routinely accounts for as much as 3% of the NYSE’s average daily trading, plus up to 1% of the NASDAQ’s.
Steve Cohen, today at 56 years of age, is still a household name. He recently purchased a 4% stake in the New York Mets for $20 million and is believed to be trying to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers.
His $14 billion hedge fund firm, SAC Capital, has been hit by a series of legal scrutiny. In February, 2012 for the first time, federal prosecutors indicted Jon Horvath, a tech analyst at SAC’s Sigma Capital for insider-trading. Steve continues to focus on his funds performance which was up 1.4% in Q1-2012.
In addition to the top holdings mentioned below, SAC aslso holds significant positions in Spdr S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY) and powershares Qqq Trust (QQQQ).
Below are his Top 10 Holdings of SAC Capital ranked by percentage of portfolio:
Top NEW holdings can be found here.
1. Apple Inc. (AAPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers, mobile communication and media devices, and portable digital music players, as well as sells related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications worldwide. Market cap at $567.5B, most recent closing price at $606.91.
2. Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapeutics for the treatment of life threatening diseases worldwide. Market cap at $39.34B, most recent closing price at $51.94.
3. Dollar General Corporation (DG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a discount retailer of general merchandise in the southern, southwestern, midwestern, and eastern United States. Market cap at $18.15B, most recent closing price at $54.61.
4. Tyco International Ltd. (TYC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products to customers worldwide. Market cap at $24.13B, most recent closing price at $52.13.
6. Boeing Co. (BA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, sale, and support of commercial jetliners, military aircraft, satellites, missile defense, human space flight, and launch systems and services worldwide. Market cap at $54.66B, most recent closing price at $72.97.
7. Weatherford International Ltd. (WFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides equipment and services used in the drilling, evaluation, completion, production, and intervention of oil and natural gas wells to independent oil and natural gas producing companies worldwide. Market cap at $9.11B, most recent closing price at $11.99.
9. Biogen Idec Inc. (BIIB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, and markets therapeutics in the areas of neurology, immunology, hemophilia, and oncology in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $34.79B, most recent closing price at $145.22.
Written by Sabina Bhatia
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Apple Inc. (AAPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dollar General Corporation (DG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Tyco International Ltd. (TYC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Boeing Co. (BA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Weatherford International Ltd. (WFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Baidu, Inc. (BIDU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Biogen Idec Inc. (BIIB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Ensco plc (ESV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.