Dalio was born in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York, United States. The son of a jazz musician, Dalio began investing at age 12 when he bought shares of Northeast Airlines for $300 and tripled his investment after the airline merged with another company.
Dalio received a BA from Long Island University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. In 1975, he founded the investment management firm, Bridgewater Associates. As of January 2012, the company is the largest hedge fund in the world with nearly $120 billion under management.
It’s no secret that billionaire Ray Dalio enjoys dabbling in behavioral psychology, which has made his hedge fund Bridgewater Associates not only the biggest in the world but also one of the most eccentric. An interesting fact; Bridgewater has built a custom “Baseball Cards” app for use on its in-house iPads. This app lists the strengths and weaknesses of every employee, from young newly hired associates and interns to Dalio himself.
It is his diverse and exotic background that makes him an interesting businessman to follow. In addition to his Top Equity Holdings mentioned below, Ray Dalio has a large part of his portfolio invested in Spdr S & P 500 Etf Trust (SPY) and the Vanguard International Equity Index Fund (VWO).
Below are his Top Equity Holdings of his fund Bridgewater Associates ranked by percentage of portfolio:
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. Market cap at $37.89B, most recent closing price at $19.3.
2. Oracle Corporation (ORCL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, markets, distributes, and services database and middleware software, applications software, and hardware systems worldwide. Market cap at $150.13B, most recent closing price at $30.5.
3. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $257.32B, most recent closing price at $30.45.
4. Rockwell Collins Inc. (COL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, production, and support of communications and aviation electronics for commercial and military customers worldwide. Market cap at $7.35B, most recent closing price at $48.9.
7. Dell Inc. (DELL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides integrated technology solutions in the information technology (IT) industry worldwide. Market cap at $21.46B, most recent closing price at $12.07.
8. BMC Software Inc. (BMC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops software that provides system and service management solutions for enterprises in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $6.58B, most recent closing price at $40.60.
10. Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the rail transportation of raw materials, intermediate products, and finished goods primarily in the United States. Market cap at $24.21B, most recent closing price at $73.8.
Written by Sabina Bhatia
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Oracle Corporation (ORCL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rockwell Collins Inc. (COL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Tesoro Corporation (TSO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Valero Energy Corporation (VLO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dell Inc. (DELL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- BMC Software Inc. (BMC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Electric Company (GE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.