The Tokyo Game Show kicks off today. Microsoft (MSFT) and Nintendo (NTDOY) are sitting it out. The absence of these console giants gives plenty of space for mobile game developers to showcase their products. This is the video game exhibition of Japan. So which big game companies will be there?
1. Konami Corp. (KNM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, publishes, markets, and distributes video game software products for stationary and portable consoles, as well as for use on personal computers. Market cap at $3.42B, most recent closing price at $23.85. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will be available for trial play.
2. Sony Corporation (SNE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer, professional, and industrial markets worldwide. Sony is the maker of PlayStation and PlayStation Vita. Cross-Play for Little Big Planet 2 will be demoed. The company also unveiled a slimmer, lighter PlayStation 3, available September 25. The Sony PSP price was cut by around US $190. While an improvement, consumers still crave for a PlayStation 4.
3. Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, publishes, and distributes game software and content for video game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and electronic readers, hand held game players, and the Internet. EA will feature FIFA 13. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Dead Space 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield Vietnam, and EA SPORTS MMA will also be available. Bulletstorm, Alice 2 and Death Spank 2 are partner titles that attendees will be able to check out. A live stream of the EA Showcase is available here.
4. Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and distributes interactive entertainment software, hardware, and accessories worldwide. Owns Rockstar Games, which is the maker of Max Payne 3.
5. Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Publishes online, personal computer (PC), console, handheld, and mobile games of interactive entertainment worldwide. StarCraft II was shown, according to this site.
Although not at the game show, these companies are worth a look, especially Nintendo. Nintendo is accepting pre-orders for the Wii U. The new console will be available on November 18 2012:
6. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $260.3B, most recent closing price at $31.05.
Written by Chris Lau. To interact and discuss these picks with users, attach your watch list or portfolio to your friends on Kapitall. Message the author. He is ranked sixth (by points) on the all-time leaderboard. The leaderboard is located on your score icon -> Leaderboard. Members on Kapitall earn free points, and even more points with every Kapitall Generation trade. These points may be redeemed at the Kapitall store.
Disclosure: Author holds a long position on EA.
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Sony Corporation (SNE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nintendo Co. Ltd (NTDOY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.