For those unfamiliar with StockTwits, it is essentially Twitter for the stock markets. Users specifically tweet about market trends, investment strategies and real-time company specific events. Much like Twitter tracks trending topics, StockTwits uses “cashtags” (ex: $FB) to track the most discussed stocks and ETFs of the day. Cashtags create forums of discussion about the stock, just like Justin Bieber does everytime he sneezes on Twitter.
The most discussed tickers are usually given that designation because they are involved in breaking news, have seen significant changes in stock price, or generating a lot of speculation.
So, which names are generating the most buzz today, Tuesday, August 7th? We checked in to see what caught people’s attention.
Three ETF’s trending today. SPY because the S&P 500 is performing well, XLE because energy stocks are having a nice morning, and QQQ because it’s doing well even though its largest holding, AAPL, is not. Other tickers that got investors’ attention are FOSL, BSFT, and HALO, which have moved up big in morning trading.
We’ll check back in at the close to see what’s still making headlines. I have a feeling CHK will be up there because they report earnings after the close.
1. Fossil, Inc. (FOSL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, markets, and distributes fashion accessories worldwide. Market cap at $4.32B, most recent closing price at $69.79. Rallying BIG in morning trading, over 30%. Earnings report came back very positive. EricDutram tweets, “$FOSL crushed its earnings estimate today, adding over 30%! beat the Zacks Consensus by 15 cents/share in the most recent quarter!!”
2. Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as an entertainment company worldwide. Market cap at $88.74B, most recent closing price at $49.65. Generating some traffic as it approaches $50 a share, up 0.6%. Markarchibald tweets, “Long $DIS 50 calls into earnings…should be a great quarter IMO…movie studio future bright, and my primary reason for owning the stock.”
3. BroadSoft, Inc. (BSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides software that enables fixed-line, mobile, and cable service providers to deliver voice and multimedia services over Internet protocol (IP) based networks. Market cap at $768.37M, most recent closing price at $27.90. Another big winner this morning, up over 33%. Several investors do not see this price lasting. Pumpndumphunter tweets, “Approaching re-shorting levels on $BSFT. let it go lil higher.”
4. Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. (NUS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops and distributes anti-aging personal care products and nutritional supplements worldwide. Market cap at $3.08B, most recent closing price at $48.86. Down close to 9.5% following a negative report from Citron Reseearch alluding to an illegal marketing scheme in China. SullyCNBC tweets, “$NUS slammed as well known short seller claims entire China biz could be at risk of seizure for violation of direct marketing laws.”
5. American Capital Agency Corp. (AGNC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT). Market cap at $2.21B, most recent closing price at $34.07. Down around 2.2%. Some investors seem convinced that algorithmic trading could be the reason why it’s down, some think it’s possible it rallys back to green. BadAlgo tweets, “$AGNC – What you saw, what the algos saw: http://t.co/aWsrB22M #HFT.”
6. Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (HALO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development and commercialization of recombinant human enzymes that transiently modify tissue under the skin to facilitate injection of other therapies or correct diseased tissue structures for clinical benefits. Market cap at $499.45M, most recent closing price at $4.82. Up near 23%, another big mover today. Rmanaudio tweets, “$HALO BOOOOOOOOM!”
7. S&P 500 (SPY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Up over 0.8% today, people buying in to this ETF thanks to today’s rally. Charlestp11 tweets, “$SPY Adding to my position here, expecting a huge rally into the afternoon/close.”
8. Nabors Industries Ltd. (NBR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a land drilling contractor worldwide. Market cap at $4.19B, most recent closing price at $14.45. Solid monring, up 3.25%. Energy sector seeing nice gains.Jinweb tweets, “$NBR read Israel found a gas site to supply them for 150 years. Coal is dead. Looks like oil drillers maybe next. 200+ day Nbr was weak.”
10. Energy Select SPDR (XLE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Up around 1.8%, another ETF trending. Energy stocks doing well today. SteveCasella tweets, “Gasoline national average up 4% last week; 13¢ to $3.65/gallon $USO $XLE $XLY.”
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Fossil, Inc. (FOSL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- BroadSoft, Inc. (BSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. (NUS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- American Capital Agency Corp. (AGNC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (HALO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- S&P 500 (SPY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nabors Industries Ltd. (NBR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- QQQ Trust Series 1 (QQQ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Energy Select SPDR (XLE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.