The percentage of Americans who own their home is in the greatest decline since the Great Depression, according to government data.
American homeownership over the past decade fell to 65.1%, an overall drop that equals 1.1%.
And although that figure pales in comparison to the 4.2% drop in the 1930's, CNN Money says these numbers only tell half the story.
The data shows that home ownership in the 2000s peaked in the middle of the decade, up to almost 70% in 2004.
"The crash from that peak was more than 4 percentage points in just about five years — a far more dramatic decline than the 1.1% drop over the 10-year period."
These numbers are accompanied by more upsetting statistics about homelessness, foreclosures, and vacant homes.
Reports show the percentage of vacant housing jumped 43.8% to 15 million, or 11.4% of all houses – up from 10.4 million homes in 2000.
The National Association of Realtors has a public advocacy campaign that addresses the issue in ads like these for TV and radio:
Wondering how you can gain an exposure to the real estate market, without having to buy an actual house?
Real Estate Investment Trusts offer an easy way to gain access to a portfolio of real estate holdings. They trade just like stocks, and give investors a chance to own a slice of a large collection of properties.
Of course, with all the doom and gloom surrounding the current housing market, short sellers are paying close attention. Below we've listed five Real Estate Investment Funds that have seen a sharp increase in shares shorted over the last month (i.e. increased bets that these investments will fall in value).
Short sellers seem to think these real estate stocks are in deep trouble–do you? How long before the housing market stabilizes, and ultimately rebounds?
Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
1. American Capital Agency Corp. (AGNC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT). Shares shorted have increased from 5.56M to 7.46M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.06% of the company's float of 178.45M shares.
2. Apartment Investment & Management Co. (AIV, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The company is a real estate investment manager. Shares shorted have increased from 5.49M to 7.05M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.31% of the company's float of 119.14M shares.
3. ARMOUR Residential REIT, Inc. (ARR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Shares shorted have increased from 9.39M to 10.21M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.14% of the company's float of 71.95M shares.
4. Campus Crest Communities, Inc. (CCG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on building, owning, and managing student housing properties in the United States. Shares shorted have increased from 1.58M to 2.10M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.7% of the company's float of 30.58M shares.
5. Education Realty Trust Inc. (EDR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, acquires, owns, and manages student housing communities located near university campuses in the United States. Shares shorted have increased from 3.14M to 4.46M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.84% of the company's float of 71.68M shares.
(Written by Rebecca Lipman. List compiled by Eben Esterhuizen, CFA. Short data from Yahoo! Finance.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- American Capital Agency Corp. (AGNC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Apartment Investment & Management Co. (AIV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- ARMOUR Residential REIT, Inc. (ARR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Campus Crest Communities, Inc. (CCG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Education Realty Trust Inc. (EDR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.