Weak sales in personal computers put a damper on leading chip makers like Intel (INTC), Micron Technology (MU), Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), and NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA). Even for smart phone chip makers, which include Qualcomm (QCOM) , Broadcom (BRCM) saw shares drop too.
It is difficult for investors to make money in companies that fall as the cycle moves on the downswing of things. Companies that are able to provide a unique and differentiated product in the sector they operate in can outperform.
NXP Semiconductor (NXPI) is a company that managed to grow product revenue by 15% compared to last year. NXP managed to grow despite the weak environment, helped by design wins in mobile and strength in the identification (“ID”) market. In the last quarter, the ID business contributed to 275 million in revenue.
NXP shipped more than 1 billion SmartMX-based products, which is used for ePassport solutions. NFC-based mobile transactions are expected to keep growing worldwide. In the last quarter alone, the company shipped 100 million NFC controllers.
NXP traded recently at around $24, giving the company a Forward P/E (or “POP”) of 10. The company reduced its debt by $202 million last quarter, and is buying back $500 million in debt due in 2018. The company earned $542 million in non-GAAP profit, up 7% from the previous quarter. At the end of the quarter, NXP held $702 million in cash.
NXP has a market capitalization of $5.9 billion and holds $3.58 billion in debt.
NXP forecasts earning $0.41 to $0.53 per share in non-GAAP earnings.
NFC and ID technology is continuing to grow despite weakness in the semiconductor sector. Its utilization rate is healthy, at above 91%.
Further Research: Companies mentioned in this article
1. NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides mixed signal solutions and semiconductor components primarily in Japan, Europe, South Korea, Rest of Asia Pacific, and the Americas. Market cap at $6.42B, most recent closing price at $25.69.
2. Intel Corporation (INTC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of integrated circuits for computing and communications industries worldwide. Market cap at $110.37B, most recent closing price at $22.06.
4. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a semiconductor company in the United States, Japan, China, and Europe. Market cap at $1.49B, most recent closing price at $2.10.
5. NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides visual computing, high performance computing, and mobile computing solutions that generate interactive graphics on various devices ranging from tablets and smart phones to notebooks and workstations. Market cap at $7.74B, most recent closing price at $12.49.
6. QUALCOMM Incorporated (QCOM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, design, manufacture, and marketing of digital wireless telecommunications products and services. Market cap at $101.01B, most recent closing price at $59.30.
Written by Chris Lau. To interact and discuss these picks or picks of your own with users, attach your watch list or portfolio in a message to your friends on Kapitall. To connect with users on the leaderboard: from your tool bar, select Get Connected -> Top Kaptallists.
Members on Kapitall earn free points, and even more points with every Kapitall Generation trade. These points may be redeemed at the Kapitall store.
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Intel Corporation (INTC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Micron Technology Inc. (MU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- QUALCOMM Incorporated (QCOM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Broadcom Corp. (BRCM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter