Last week Kapitall reported on the tobacco industry's stellar annual returns, but Global Tobacco has more to brag about: It's one of only two global sectors to remain in positive territory in the last half-decade, along with pharmaceuticals.
SocGen reports the pharmaceuticals sector' year-to-date gains are 3.9%, an impressive feat that still falls short of Global Tobacco's year-to-date returns of 21.8%.
"Incidentally, the Global Tobacco is the strongest performing sector during the last five years in total returns terms and only second to Mining on a ten year view. It has achieved this with far less volatility and a greater proportion of the return being generated by the dividend stream."
Tobacco and pharma have shown big gains over recent years, but will their winning streaks continue?
For ideas, we collected data on institutional money flows, and identified 5 tobacco and pharma stocks that have seen significant institutional buying during the current quarter.
Big money managers have extensive resources to analyze investing ideas. So if they're buying a certain stock, it's worth paying close attention.
Do you agree with this bullish sentiment? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
List sorted alphabetically.
1. Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc. (CBST, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a biopharmaceutical company focused on the research, development, and commercialization of pharmaceutical products that address unmet medical needs in the acute care environment. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 2.7M shares, which represents about 4.4% of the company's float of 61.31M shares.
2. Dynavax Technologies Corporation (DVAX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Discovers and develops novel products to prevent and treat infectious diseases. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 10.7M shares, which represents about 9.04% of the company's float of 118.32M shares.
3. Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (RIGL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery and development of small-molecule drugs for the treatment of inflammatory/autoimmune diseases, as well as for certain cancers and metabolic diseases. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 3.2M shares, which represents about 5.61% of the company's float of 57.08M shares.
4. Simcere Pharmaceutical Group. (SCR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, and markets branded generic and proprietary pharmaceuticals in China. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 1.2M shares, which represents about 8.21% of the company's float of 14.62M shares.
5. Vector Group Ltd. (VGR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes in the United States. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 2.4M shares, which represents about 4.96% of the company's float of 48.41M shares.
(Written by Rebecca Lipman. List compiled by Eben Esterhuizen, CFA. Institutional data sourced from Fidelity.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc. (CBST, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dynavax Technologies Corporation (DVAX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (RIGL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Simcere Pharmaceutical Group. (SCR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Vector Group Ltd. (VGR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.