Packaged-food companies are hoping the U.S. comes down with a serious case of the munchies. At least, we can assume that's the idea given the amount of growth packaged-food companies hope to see from their snacks businesses. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
MarketWatch reports packaged-food companies plan to "capitalize on American consumers who continue to snack more throughout the day." They also expect to see growth from developing markets, which have more women entering the workforce – target munchers.
Gary Stibel, chief executive of the New England Consulting Group tells MarketWatch people are busier than they used to be, and the trend is growing. As a result, "you and I will continue to snack more and sit down to a meal less."
So how much growth are we talking about? The roughly $560 billion snack market hopes to see higher demand, increase prices, and toll out with new snack products. Possibilities seem limitless.
"There's plenty of room" for growth for all the smaller and larger players in the field. "The global market's very fragmented," said Lee Linthicum, Euromonitor's head of global food research.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Will the fast-paced lifestyle give rise to higher snack-food demand?
If so, here are some key players that may benefit from the trend:
Use the Turbo Chart to Compare the Performance of the First Two Companies in the List to the S&P 500:
5. Kellogg Company (K, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): And its subsidiaries manufacture and market ready-to-eat cereal and convenience food products primarily in North America, Europe, Latin America, and the Asia Pacific.
6. Hershey Co. (HSY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in manufacturing, marketing, selling, and distributing various chocolate and confectionery products, pantry items, and gum and mint refreshment products worldwide.
7. Dole Food Company Inc. (DOLE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in sourcing, growing, processing, marketing, and distributing fresh fruits and vegetables, and food products to wholesale, retail, and institutional customers worldwide.
10. J&J Snack Foods Corp. (JJSF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Together with its subsidiaries, manufactures nutritional snack foods, as well as distributes frozen beverages to the food service and retail supermarket industries in the United States, Mexico, and Canada.
(Written by Rebecca Lipman.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- ConAgra Foods, Inc. (CAG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Mills, Inc. (GIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Pepsico, Inc. (PEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Kellogg Company (K, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hershey Co. (HSY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dole Food Company Inc. (DOLE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chiquita Brands International Inc. (CQB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Diamond Foods, Inc. (DMND, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- J&J Snack Foods Corp. (JJSF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Snyder's-Lance, Inc. (LNCE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Ralcorp Holdings Inc. (RAH, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The J. M. Smucker Company (SJM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.