The holiday office parties are underway. Co-workers will most likely drink a bit too much and inappropriateness will soon follow. The extravagance of the celebration is not a handy measure to gauge company performance, but the mood of the crowd might.. Because when it comes to sustainable and responsible investing (SRI), workplace culture is a key metric for socially-conscious and savvy investors.
Clearly, if employees are happy this leads to happy bosses, which leads to happy executives, which often leads to happy shareholders.
Now in its fifth year, Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards are determined by a company’s ranking by current and former employees on the network. Almost 500,000 company reviews and ratings from employees have been submitted to the site over the past year, and this year 20 tech companies have made it to the top 50. Below is a list of top 10 publicly traded best places to work.
Glassdoor’s Top 10 Publicly Traded Companies-Best Places to Work:
1. Facebook (FB)
2. Riverbed Technology (RVBD)
3. Google (GOOG)
4. National Instruments (NATI)
5. Southwest Airlines (LUV)
6. Chevron (CVX)
7. LinkedIn (LNKD)
8. Rackspace (RAX)
9. Gartner, Inc (IT)
10. Akamai, Inc. (AKAM)
The Compar-O-Matic chart below shows up the 1 year return for these same companies. The List Average 1-Year Return is an attractive 24%.
Though not included in this list, Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY) were named the most improved tech companies, having each increased their ratings by 0.6 this year. Microsoft (MSFT) also earned a special mention, thanks to CEO Steve Ballmer’s increasing approval rating. Check out their stellar yearly performances:
Below is a List Snapshot of these ten companies. Use this list and the accompanying links as a starting point for your own analysis.
2. Riverbed Technology (RVBD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides solutions to the fundamental problems associated with information technology (IT) performance across wide area networks (WANs) in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $2.77B, most recent closing price at $17.98.
5. Southwest Airlines (LUV, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a passenger airline that provides scheduled air transportation in the United States. Market cap at $7.39B, most recent closing price at $10.02.
6. Chevron (CVX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in petroleum, chemicals, mining, power generation, and energy operations worldwide. Market cap at $211.53B, most recent closing price at $108.08.
9. Gartner, Inc (IT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides independent and objective research and analysis on information technology (IT), computer hardware, software, communications, and related technology industries. Market cap at $5.48B, most recent closing price at $47.17.
10. Akamai, Inc. (AKAM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides services for accelerating and improving the delivery of content and applications over the Internet in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $7.09B, most recent closing price at $39.97.
Written by Dale Wannen, Kapitall’s ESG content expert
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Facebook (FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Riverbed Technology (RVBD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Google (GOOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- National Instruments (NATI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Southwest Airlines (LUV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chevron (CVX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- LinkedIn (LNKD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rackspace (RAX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Gartner, Inc (IT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Akamai, Inc. (AKAM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter