When will Green Mountain spend less time with lawyers defending their patents and more time filling our cups with our favorite Wake Me Up?
In September 2012, two of Green Mountain's patents governing cup design will expire. I guess its the best time for competitors to grab the audience with cheaper and better coffee.
U.S. supermarket chain Safeway (SWY) began selling its own brand of filtered coffee pods that are compatible with Green Mountain's Keurig brewers at prices below Green Mountain's own K-Cups.
Safeway is selling 12-packs of Safeway Select cups at $6.99, or 58 cents a piece versus 12-packs of Green Mountain K-Cups for $8.99, or 75 cents each. If you want to shop even cheaper, step into Costco (COST) and buy the OneCups at 32 cents each.
Green Mountain's Razer/Razerblade model – GMCR sells Keurig brewers at cost to acquire consumers and makes most of its profit from the patented K-Cup refills – is up for grabs!
So how painful really is the loss of the K-Cup patent? Well, over 80% of sales is generated from the K-Cup pod and the Keurig brewer. Meanwhile, there is growing competition from private label capsules that fit into the Keurig brewer. In addition, the stock is still trying to recover from the forecast cut from last quarter, criticism from David Einhorn for the company's accounting practice and lets not forget the dismissal of Robert Stiller (CEO) and William Davis (Lead Director) after selling GMCR stock in violation of company policies.
That being said, I wouldn't throw my Keurig away as yet. If not the K-Cup, you will be sipping another brand name capsule.
Lets look at the 4 big household names namely Green Mountain (GMCR), Starbucks (SBUX) Peets Coffee (PEET) and Dunkin (DNKN). One way of investment analysis will be to look at the Price to Sales and Price to Earnings ratio.
1. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the specialty coffee and coffee maker business. Market cap at $3.13B, most recent closing price at $20.15. Price to Sales: 0.91. Price to Earnings: 9.7.
2. Starbucks Corporation (SBUX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates approximately 16,858 stores, including 8,833 company-operated stores and 8,025 licensed stores. Market cap at $39.69B, most recent closing price at $52.33. Price to Sales: 3.1. Price to Earnings: 30.7.
3. Peet's Coffee & Tea, Inc. (PEET, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty coffee roaster and marketer of fresh roasted whole bean coffee and tea in the United States. Market cap at $799.77M, most recent closing price at $60.36. Price to Sales: 1.9. Price to Earnings: 47.26.
4. Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (DNKN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates, and franchises quick service restaurants worldwide. Market cap at $4.19B, most recent closing price at $34.78. Price to Sales: 6.5. Price to Earnings: 28.54.
In the case of GMCR: 3-year annualized revenue growth is 75% and EPS growth is 89%. If you are a believer in the story, it is worth more analysis.
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Starbucks Corporation (SBUX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Peet's Coffee & Tea, Inc. (PEET, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (DNKN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.