Is that all-too-frequent London to New York commute getting you down? That journey is about to get a whole lot easier because in the not so distant future technology could make traveling across the Atlantic or cross-country a much more time efficient venture, marking a new era in air travel.
On Tuesday the first tests for an unmanned aircraft being referred to as the X-51 Waverider will take place. The engineering marvel is viewed by those involeved to be the next step in the evolution of aircraft technology. Experts are hoping that the test, which will take place over the Pacific, will go off as planned considering that two previous trial flights failed. The X-51 will feature what is known as scramjet technology, which allows the jet to surpass the speed of sound and possibly reach Mach 20. This would allow an airplane to fly as fast as four thousand miles per hour, reducing the flight from London to New York to little more than an hour.
The X-51 Waverider is a collaborative effort of five different organizations including NASA, the Air Force, DARPA, Pratt & Whitney, and the chief private partner, The Boeing Company (BA). As Robert A. Mercier, deputy for technology in the high speed systems division at the Air Force Research Laboratory in Ohio, told the Los Angeles Times, "Attaining sustained hypersonic flight is like going from propeller-driven aircraft to jet aircraft." If Boeing is the first and only company in its field to harness this technology, you can very well imagine the competitive advantage they will be at going in the future.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
Will Boeing’s share price fluctuate based on the results of these test flights? And what about that of its chief competitors? Considering tests of a similar nature have failed spectacularly, if the Waverider performs up to expectations on Tuesday it could be a huge boon to the company. We have assembled a list with more information on Boeing and its largest competitors to help you start your research.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Boeing Co. (BA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, sale, and support of commercial jetliners, military aircraft, satellites, missile defense, human space flight, and launch systems and services worldwide. Market cap at $55.79B, most recent closing price at $74.21.
2. Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, operation, and sustainment of advanced technology systems and products in the areas of defense, space, intelligence, homeland security, and government information technology in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $29.53B, most recent closing price at $91.03.
3. Northrop Grumman Corporation (NOC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates in the aircraft, defense, automobile, industrial, and finance businesses worldwide. Market cap at $7.54B, most recent closing price at $26.83.
4. Textron Inc. (TXT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates in the aircraft, defense, automobile, industrial, and finance businesses worldwide. Market cap at $7.54B, most recent closing price at $26.83.
5. Embraer SA (ERJ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, production, and sale of jet and turboprop aircraft for civil and defense aviation markets. Market cap at $4.83B, most recent closing price at $26.11.
6. General Dynamics Corp. (GD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides business aviation, combat vehicles, weapons systems and munitions, military and commercial shipbuilding, and communications and information technology products and services worldwide. Market cap at $22.43B, most recent closing price at $63.58.
Written by Dan Connelly
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Boeing Co. (BA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NOC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Textron Inc. (TXT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Embraer SA (ERJ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Dynamics Corp. (GD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.