The Seahawks and the Broncos aren't the only ones facing off this weekend. Look at the advertising matchup.
The Super Bowl hasn't played out yet, but advertisers are out in full force.
Like corner drug stores who seem decorate their windows earlier and earlier each year in an arms race of Christmas cheer, so too has the Super Bowl stretched from a single afternoon into an entire weekend (and then some.)
This year Times Square has been converted into Super Bowl Boulevard, a veritable orgy of sports consumerism, and one of the few instances in which the name "Super Bowl" was licensed out for use by someone besides the NFL.
Most of the Super Bowl advertisers have released their offerings early, viewed by millions on Facebook (FB), Twitter (TWTR) and YouTube (GOOG) – and already ranked and analyzed. Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably already seen Budweiser's (BUD) #StayBuds ad, about a draft horse and a golden retriever puppy who are inseparable.
And you've probably also seen Anna Kendrick's very meta "This is Not a Super Bowl Ad" ad, where the foul-mouthed indie actress muses as to whether she's really "Beer Commercial Hot."
For better or for worse, social media has utterly eroded the communal experience behind watching Super Bowl ads. The Super Bowl still attracts the largest single television audience in the country, as slightly less than half of all TVs are tuned in. But in their race to make an impact and collect page views, many of the biggest ads will be old news by the time consumers finally see them on screen.
Which begs the question of whether the $4 million price tag for a 30 second spot is still worth it. With that in mind, we created a list of publicly traded Super Bowl advertisers with some of the most anticipated Super Bowl ads, according to CNN.
Click on the interactive chart below to view data over time.
1. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Produces and distributes movies, television programming and syndication, and digital distribution activities. Market cap at $4.4B, most recent closing price at $32.31.
2. Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in brewing and selling beer in North America, Latin America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $151.62B, most recent closing price at $96.59.
3. Toyota Motor Corporation (TM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, assembly, and sale of passenger cars, minivans, and commercial vehicles. Market cap at $180.95B, most recent closing price at $117.16.
4. SodaStream International Ltd. (SODA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and marketing of home beverage carbonation systems and related products. Market cap at $767.56M, most recent closing price at $37.19.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research. All other data sourced from Yahoo! Finance.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.(LGF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Anheuser-Busch InBev(BUD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Toyota Motor Corporation(TM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SodaStream International Ltd.(SODA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.