For those unfamiliar with StockTwits, it is essentially Twitter for the stock markets. Users specifically tweet about market trends, investment strategies and real-time company specific events. Much like Twitter tracks trending topics, StockTwits uses “cashtags” (ex: $MSFT) to track the most discussed stocks, just like we track Misty May and Kerri Walsh on Twitter.
The most discussed tickers are usually given that designation because they are involved in breaking news, have seen significant changes in stock price, or generating a lot of speculation.
As promised, we looked back in at today’s close.
Research in Motion (RIMM), priceline.com (PCLN), and Spectrum Pharmaceutical (SPPI) were all repeat offenders today, their news did not change between noon and the close, but they still generate significant conversations. Monster (MNST) is getting crushed after hours following its earnings report, but on the bright side Dean Foods (DF) closed up 40%!
Some big winners and losers today, check it out below.
1. Research In Motion Limited (RIMM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Market cap at $3.83B, most recent closing price at $7.42. Closed up over 4%, thanks to the keyboard they released today for the iPad. Many not expecting the price to stay at this level. DeZ tweets, “$RIMM feel sorry for those who bought hoping to hold this overnight -no one is buying this puppy. Mgmt too stubborn. See you at $7 tomorrow.”
2. priceline.com Incorporated (PCLN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as an online travel company. Market cap at $33.85B, most recent closing price at $578.40. Ouch, closed down 17.3%, investors really hated the earnings report, investors uncertain of its actual value now. Nemrut tweets, “so what is fair value for $PCLN now that international forcasts have been lowered significantly?”
3. Monster Beverage Corporation (MNST, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Market cap at $12.13B, most recent closing price at $68.01. Another big loser, closed down 20% thanks to earnings. Daytradingshrink tweets, “$MNST tanking on lackluster earniings report. following nicely in $PCLN footsteps. Momentum Stocks are DEAD. all hail these epic shorts.”
4. Coffee Holding Co. (JVA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Nice rally, up 13 %. Tk993 tweets, “$JVA end of day run coming up? over 6.42 and it’s game time for a massive spike into final hours of trading.”
5. Western Digital Corp. (WDC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, and sale of hard drives worldwide. Market cap at $10.86B, most recent closing price at $41.71. Up mildly, around 0.3%, been having a nice month, candlesticks look nice. Plenty of rumors floating around about buyouts and acquisitions. Alans tweets, “$OCZ lastest rumor – $OCZ to acquire $STX and $WDC.”
6. Dean Foods Company (DF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a food and beverage company in the United States. Market cap at $2.29B, most recent closing price at $15.93. This isn’t a joke. Closed up over 40.5%. Huge gains today. Investors seem to be setting up short positions. Lottafun tweets, “$DF The move is real backed by institutional buyers.”
7. Universal Display Corp. (PANL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the research, development, and commercialization of organic light emitting diode (OLED) technologies and materials for use in flat panel display, solid-state lighting, and other product applications. Market cap at $1.57B, most recent closing price at $33.90. Closed up around 1%. Earnings on the way. Hakujin tweets, “$PANL as i typed miss, i see a fake rally a brewing. be careful.”
8. Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (SPPI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a commercial-stage biotechnology company, primarily focuses on oncology and hematology. Market cap at $819.59M, most recent closing price at $12.91. Was also trending this morning, closed down 14.25%, I’m not sure what this guy is talked about. Pauldavidson11 tweets, “$SPPI i expect some short covering at the end of the day.”
10. Seagate Technology PLC (STX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, markets, and sells hard disk drives for the enterprise, client compute, and client non-compute market applications in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $13.86B, most recent closing price at $32.51. At one point reached a new high, closed even. DarvasTrader tweets, “picked up some $DUST and $EDZ – thinking we head south from here.”
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Research In Motion Limited (RIMM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- priceline.com Incorporated (PCLN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Monster Beverage Corporation (MNST, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Coffee Holding Co. (JVA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Western Digital Corp. (WDC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dean Foods Company (DF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Universal Display Corp. (PANL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (SPPI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- GOLD ETF (DUST, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Seagate Technology PLC (STX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.