For those unfamiliar with StockTwits, it is essentially Twitter for the stock markets. Users specifically tweet about markets trends, investment strategies and real-time company specific events. Much like how Twitter tracks trending topics, StockTwits uses “cashtags” (ex: $FB) to track the most discussed stocks, funds, commodities and ETFs of the day.
The most discussed tickers are usually involved in breaking news, have seen significant changes in stock price, or generating a lot of speculation.
At today’s market close (Mon August 6th) we decided to check in to see which companies continued to make headlines, and which began to generate some hype in afternoon trading.
Not too surprised to see Best Buy (BBY) back as a top trender from this morning. The news of the company potentially going private is pretty big. Some do not see its most recent rally being sustainable however, and investors would be wire to keep an eye on the electronic retailer. Several other tech companies are making it to the top trending list as well, including Chinese website Sohu.com.
Here’s the list of tickers generating the most buzz, the reason why, and a sample tweet. We will check in tomorrow to see if any of these trending tickers have remained at the center of investors’ attention.
1. Best Buy Co. Inc. (BBY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a retailer of consumer electronics, home office products, entertainment products, appliances, and related services primarily in the United States, Europe, Canada, and China. Market cap at $6.B, most recent closing price at $21.24. Not surprised to see Best Buy trending again, news of the founder wanting to take it public is substantial. Closed up over 13%. Some don’t see the gains lasting. Dazz4 tweets, “$BBY ratings cut to junk by S&P, this thing will fall pronto, beware ppl.”
2. Sina Corp. (SINA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides online media and mobile value-added services (MVAS) in the People’s Republic of China. Market cap at $2.96B, most recent closing price at $45.79. Climbed to nearly 11% gains today. Mikenjax tweets, “$SINA ..going going.”
3. CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): CF Industries Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiary, CF Industries, Inc., manufactures and distributes nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer products, serving agricultural and industrial customers worldwide. Market cap at $13.26B, most recent closing price at $203.0. Trending in anticipation of earnings report today, gains at 0.7%. Statsreal tweets, “Technically and fundamentally, $CF looking really good here, reports after the bell (no pos).”
4. Sohu.com Inc. (SOHU, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the brand advertising, online gaming, sponsored search, and wireless businesses in China. Market cap at $1.32B, most recent closing price at $37.82. Rallied over 12.5% today, China’s fifth most visited website, positive earnings surprise. JFDI tweets, “$SOHU trying its 50d today. 3x daily ave volume so far.”
5. Rackspace Hosting, Inc. (RAX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates in the hosting and cloud computing industry. Market cap at $6.12B, most recent closing price at $44.93. Up over 7%, apparently director just sold his shares. spanishNY tweet, “$RAX Director Moorman sold shares right before earnings 3 months ago, and the stock went down. Why would he sell stock now.”
6. Tech Select Sector SPDR (XLK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Tech ETF. AAPL helping out here. Keith McCullough tweets, “Tech $XLK looks a lot healthier all of a sudden, because $AAPL does – on no volume.”
7. Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NLY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the ownership, management, and financing of a portfolio of investment securities. Market cap at $16.81B, most recent closing price at $17.18. Down over 2.5%, saw an analyst downgrade today. Investors seem bullish regardless and welcome the lower price. Letsgetpaidtogether tweets, “$NLY Downgrade, but still a buy for me. http://stks.co/l2bo.”
8. Skullcandy, Inc. (SKUL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops and distributes headphones and other audio accessories to retailers in the United States and to distributors in various countries worldwide. Market cap at $400.93M, most recent closing price at $14.75. Closed up 4%, has trended all day, popular on StockTwits. NAPManagement tweets, “@zerosum24 Damn this $SKUL show just does not want to get started. Shorts aren’t letting go of this.”
9. HCA Holdings, Inc. (HCA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): HCA Holdings, Inc. offers health care services in the United States. Market cap at $11.67B, most recent closing price at $26.15. Down 4%, saw more than average attention from investors today. TradeIdeasQuant tweets, “$HCA Volume Alert – Currently at 5 x average daily volume.”
10. Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. (KORS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Market cap at $7.94B, most recent closing price at $41.53. Closed up 4%, earnings coming next week, mrjaygates tweets, “$KORS percolating a bit before 8/14 earnings…”
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Best Buy Co. Inc. (BBY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sina Corp. (SINA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sohu.com Inc. (SOHU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rackspace Hosting, Inc. (RAX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Tech Select Sector SPDR (XLK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NLY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Skullcandy, Inc. (SKUL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- HCA Holdings, Inc. (HCA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. (KORS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.