StockTwits is essentially Twitter for the stock markets. Users specifically tweet about markets trends, investment strategies and real-time company specific events. This last part, ticker specific tweets using “cashtags” (ex: $GOOG), is a great way for users to glean which stocks are generating the most interest.
We checked in again at the close to see what caught people’s attention today.
AZO had a nice day after receiving two upgrades from Moody’s and Barclays. EXEL closed down again, wrapping up a pretty dismal week. Stock value has declined 20% since Monday. Rallies by SINA and IPG and IGT don’t have investors convinced, the bears are out on these stocks.
So here are Friday’s most trending tickers, an explanation of why that is, and an example of the tweets generating the buzz. We’ll check back in at the trending stocks on Monday. Enjoy the weekend!
1. American International Group, Inc. (AIG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The company operates property and casualty insurance networks worldwide and conducts activities in the U.S. life insurance and retirement services industry. Market cap at $55.33B, most recent closing price at $30.86. Stock followed general trend of the markets today, up 1.6%. Baumusc tweets, “@JustFurKids I don’t think it will drop terribly. If it does $AIG is a good buy anywhere around or below $30. Just lower the cost basis.”
2. Fusion-io, Inc. (FIO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on the development, marketing, and sale of storage memory platforms for data decentralization. Market cap at $1.7B, most recent closing price at $18.01. Finished over 7%, maybe a short squeeze? Techinsidr tweets, “Lots of short covering today in $FIO – odd coincidence because I posted about huge amount of short-interest earlier this morning.”
3. The Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (IPG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides advertising and marketing services worldwide. Market cap at $4.29B, most recent closing price at $9.97. Rumors of an acquisition surrounding them, stock up 12.6%, nothing confirmed. Lottafun tweets, “$IPG No annoucement no takeover.Ahh well never mind.Move on to the next head fake.”
4. SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Performance of the index made a lot of people happy today, uo around 2%. MCFinanceGuy tweets, “Great way to end the week. Have a great w/end all! Don’t spend all yer winnings…. $SPY”
5. Sina Corp. (SINA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides online media and mobile value-added services (MVAS) in the People’s Republic of China. Market cap at $2.96B, most recent closing price at $45.37. Very little change, opinions are mixed about its future. DrunkenMonkey tweet, “$SINA if it flop (which it will) then a 6-9% down day for SINA- i think longs are toast.”
6. BroadSoft, Inc. (BSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides software that enables fixed-line, mobile, and cable service providers to deliver voice and multimedia services over Internet protocol (IP) based networks. Market cap at $656.55M, most recent closing price at $24.90. up 11% in anticipation of its earnings report coming on Monday. HCPG tweets, “Nice to see $BSFT come out of the death zone.”
7. AutoZone Inc. (AZO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty retailer and distributor of automotive replacement parts and accessories. Market cap at $13.56B, most recent closing price at $369.0. Gained upgrades from Barclays Capital and Moody’s. RaveD tweets, “if $AZO closes here it would be the strangest 2-day candle formation I have seen.”
8. Visa, Inc. (V, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates retail electronic payments network worldwide. Market cap at $105.22B, most recent closing price at $129.85. Gained 1.3% today on a positive overall day for markets. Toshiro99 tweets, “$V is in resistance range when it pass 132.50 it set up for break.”
9. International Game Technology (IGT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets electronic gaming equipment and systems worldwide. Market cap at $3.28B, most recent closing price at $11.14. Up mildly today. No serious news surrounding the company, but people are talking 3x more than usual. Mb_willoughby tweets, “$IGT starting to breakdown.. eyeing for a short later.”
10. Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule drugs for the treatment of cancer, metabolic, and cardiovascular disorders. Market cap at $879M, most recent closing price at $5.87. Finished down close to 5.75%, had a real tough week. BioRunUp tweets, “$EXEL closing the day at lows down almost 6% on the day and down 20% since the priority review announcement on Monday.”
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- American International Group, Inc. (AIG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Fusion-io, Inc. (FIO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (IPG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sina Corp. (SINA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- BroadSoft, Inc. (BSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- AutoZone Inc. (AZO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Visa, Inc. (V, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- International Game Technology (IGT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.