If at first you don't succeed, try again. That's the approach AT&T (T) is making after it failed to gain FCC approval for a $39 billion bid for T-Mobile. Now the telecommunication company is setting its sights on Dish Network Corp. (DISH).
The fact is, AT&T is under a lot of pressure to add wireless spectrum, which are airwaves that provide video and other data services to customers. Had it completed its bid for T-Mobile, AT&T would have increased its 4G spectrum capacity by 62%.
Spectrum is important because the more spectrum a company has, the more market share it can reach. As you could imagine, the battle for the airwaves is an aggressive one.
Companies with claim to spectrum have quickly become merger and acquisition (M&A) targets for larger companies, and they don't come cheap. If AT&T completes a bid for Dish Network Corp. it may pay the highest premium in more than a decade.
Business Section: Investing in Wireless Communications Takeover Targets
Wireless communication is expected to be a massive growth industry for years to come, and companies are willing to spend big money to come out on top. In this case, acquiring spectrum, or companies with spectrum, is an effective means of ensuring dominance in the market.
When a company announces that it is acquiring another, the target's stock often jumps in price to reflect the takeover premium being paid for the company. This is why analysts pay special attention to rumored potential takeover/leveraged buyout (LBO) targets.
Are you interested in trading on the trend? We identified three potential takeover/LBO targets in wireless communications from various sources including iStockAnalyst and Seeking Alpha. Do you think these companies are attractive takeover candidates?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for all the stocks mentioned below.
2. Leap Wireless International Inc. (LEAP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides digital wireless services under the Cricket brand name in the United States. Market cap of $784.74M. The stock is a short squeeze candidate, with a short float at 15.06% (equivalent to 5.57 days of average volume). The stock has recently rebounded, and is currently trading 13.63% above its SMA20 and 16.02% above its SMA50. However, the stock still trades -11.74% below its SMA200. The stock has had a couple of great days, gaining 10.29% over the last week.
3. MetroPCS Communications, Inc. (PCS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): A wireless telecommunications carrier, together with its subsidiaries, provides wireless broadband mobile services in the United States. Market cap of $3.01B. Relatively low correlation to the market (beta = 0.71), which may be appealing to risk averse investors. The stock has lost 7.8% over the last year.
4. Telephone & Data Systems Inc. (TDS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides wireless and wireline telecommunications services in the United States. Market cap of $2.89B. Might be undervalued at current levels, with a PEG ratio at 0.91, and P/FCF ratio at 8.06. The stock is a short squeeze candidate, with a short float at 8.89% (equivalent to 13.69 days of average volume). The stock has had a couple of great days, gaining 7.2% over the last week.
(Written by Rebecca Lipman. List compiled by Eben Esterhuizen, CFA)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Clearwire Corporation (CLWR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Leap Wireless International Inc. (LEAP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- MetroPCS Communications, Inc. (PCS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Telephone & Data Systems Inc. (TDS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.