Following Mayor Bloomberg’s announcement of new soda regulations, locals have reacted both in favor of the health-forward policies and against the infringement upon civil liberties. What have not received nearly as much attention are the obvious financial implications of these policies for the manufacturers involved.
The major soda companies in the United States, The Coco Cola Company (KO), PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP), and Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS), are all planning public relations campaigns against the mayor’s decree. Additionally, those companies in tandem with the industry’s leading lobbying group, the American Beverage Association are considering taking legal or legislative action. The new city policy coupled with already declining sales could prove to be a major threat to the profit margins of these firms.
One method to combat these restrictions soft-drink companies may consider is changing the ingredients in its products. High fructose corn syrup, the sweet additive that makes these popular drinks so flavorful and addictive for many consumers, has received public scrutiny lately and been portrayed as a detriment to public health.
Leading producers of the ingredient face the challenge of proving to consumers that its products are not harmful and to soda manufacturers that their ingredient’s can contribute to positive sales growth moving forward.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
Whether or not these new policies are effective in reducing soda consumption, they will at least place in the public consciousness an awareness of the potential downsides of consuming soda and its most harmful ingredients. This poses a significant public image and sales obstacle the aforementioned companies.
How do you think the public will react? We have compiled a list of the companies that are most likely to be affected by New York City’s new policies and worth keeping an eye on.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
2. PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture, marketing, and sale of foods, snacks, and carbonated and non-carbonated beverages worldwide. Market cap at $106.43B, most recent closing price at $68.05.
3. Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and distribution of non-alcoholic beverages in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $8.99B, most recent closing price at $42.45.
4. Corn Products International Inc. (CPO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Together with its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells various ingredients to food and industrial customers in North America, South America, Asia, Africa, and Europe. Market cap at $3.82B, most recent closing price at $50.05.
(Written by Dan Connelly)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Corn Products International Inc. (CPO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.