David Rosenberg, former economist at Merrill Lynch and current Chief Economist and Strategist of Gluskin Sheff, has had a change of heart. Mr. Rosenberg is infamous for being bearish about the markets but has recently stated that he is hopeful about the future of the US economy, writing, “I do see a light at the end of the dark tunnel”.
Rosenberg is known for his early predictions of the housing and credit bubbles as well as their prolonged effects on the economy. But why the change now? With a potential “Euromeltdown” wouldn’t this be the perfect time to be ultra-bearish?
He justified his more bullish demeanor on recent political elections in Wisconsin and California. He thinks that these elections are a sign that local and state governments are taking their financial problems more seriously.
He did admit that to change the political climate in Washington would take a crisis and that this “light at the end of the tunnel” is in fact at the end of a tunnel that we are still in. He believes that the mindset adopted by mayors and governors will eventually make its way to the nations capital, but it will take time.
Rosenberg has been bearish for so long that people have forgotten that he was once bullish. Perhaps he will always be ahead of the curve, being one of the first bullish economists to hit headlines, just as he was one of the first bears. We’ll have to stay tuned to find out.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
This by no means is a sign that we should all start taking massive risks. It is however a good sign of things to come in the future. Not tomorrow, but perhaps over the next couple months and years we will see things seriously start to turn around in a meaningful way.
To go along with this Doom and Gloom theme, we put a list together of oversold stocks, by the RSI 14 index. (An RSI(14) is below 40 indicated it is oversold) Being oversold, there is a potential that they are trading below fair value. If the market rebounds, these may be among the first to see a price increase. What do you think they are actually worth?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty retailer of casual apparel for men, women, and kids. Market cap at $2.52B, most recent closing price at $30.54. RSI(14) at 28.67.
2. Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (ANR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production, processing, and sale of coal in the United States. Market cap at $1.88B, most recent closing price at $8.55. RSI(14) at 25.07.
3. FLIR Systems, Inc. (FLIR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets thermal imaging and infrared camera systems in the U. Market cap at $3.08B, most recent closing price at $19.95. RSI(14) at 27.98.
4. Sara Lee Corp. (SLE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and marketing of a range of branded packaged meat, bakery, and beverage products worldwide. Market cap at $11.31B, most recent closing price at $19.06. RSI(14) at 21.75.
(Written by Ryan Horch. Data sourced from Finviz)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (ANR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- FLIR Systems, Inc. (FLIR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sara Lee Corp. (SLE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.