The Olympics are a little over a week away, and we’re so excited we can barely contain ourselves. Assuming you share our love for Team USA and the Olympics we wanted to offer an update for the official partners stock performances over the last week.
In the months preceding and during the 2008 Summer Olympics all but two of the stocks saw increases (MCD, and PC), and 2008 was a bad year in case you forgot. Before checking in on the stocks, we expected they would have seen some sort of increase over the last week as the hype around the London Games builds even higher.
We found that our assumptions were for the most part correct. Here’s how the partners did over the last week:
The decrease for Panasonic isn’t much of a surprise since the recent retail reports showed poor numbers again. Perhaps the extra advertising will be just what they need to increase the stock performance over the coming weeks.
Get ready to see a lot of commercials for all these companies on NBC next week.
Other Olympic News
Academy award winning filmmaker Danny Boyle, who is directing the opening ceremony, cut part of the event to make sure spectators can get back to their home/hotels on time via public transportation. The cut pieces included a stunt bike performance.
The opening ceremony is expected to be viewed by 1 billion people around the world and has cost $42 million to put on. The show is called “Isles of Wonder” and is inspired by Shakespeare’s, “The Tempest.” And yes, Paul McCartney will perform.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
If these Olympics generate even close to the viewer numbers that the Bejing games did, these companies will get incredible exposure to 1 billion+ consumers around the world. More advertsing can lead to more constomers, and more constomers means more revenue and profit.
You could say there’s a lot at stake for these Olympic partners who spent over $50 million to be an official partner of these games and their investors. So the big quesiton is, will it be worth the while?
Here’s a more detailed list of the largest olympic sponsors and recent market data:
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
2. The Dow Chemical Company (DOW, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The Dow Chemical Company manufactures and supplies products used as raw materials in the production of customer products and services worldwide. Market cap at $35.75B, most recent closing price at $30.91.
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Procter & Gamble Co. (PG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Dow Chemical Company (DOW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- McDonald’s Corp. (MCD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Visa, Inc (V, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Panasonic Corporation (PC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Electric Company (GE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.