To celebrate the 100th birthday of the deceased founder of the North Korean regime, Kim Il-sung, the country decided to perform a rocket launch test. The launch test failed, but they are expected to move forward with another. Their goal with the tests is to show their military strength, and also to mark the rise to power of the next in succession, his grandson Kim Jong-un, according to Reuters. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
The missile launch was claimed to be a satellite orbit attempt, though Japan believes it was for a nuclear missile program. The announcement of its failure was a highly unusual event for the regime, and it presents a large challenge for the new leader, who is believed to be in his late twenties. In addition, the launch was also a breach of United Nations Security Council sanctions, and drew reproof from several countries.
The launch test was also a breach in an agreement made with China after they had given North Korea aid. ShenDingli, a professor and regional security expert at Shanghai’s Fudan University said, “After giving so much aid to North Korea, it still did not listen to China, and this hurt China-North Korea relations and erodes domestic support in its continued support of North Korea. This also undermines confidence in the U.S.-China relationship, and whether China had done enough to persuade the North. So, China is also a loser, but not as big a loser as if North Korea succeeded in its launch.”
Business Section: Investing Ideas
With a possible increase in volatility in Korean politics, South Korea’s markets might follow suit. For a start on a list of South Korean companies look below. Do you think these stocks will see movement?
List sorted by market cap.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
2. Shinhan Financial Group Co. Ltd. (SHG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides financial products and services to corporations, governments, institutions, and individuals in Korea and internationally. Market cap at $17.49B.
3. KB Financial Group, Inc. (KB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a holding company for Kookmin Bank that provides various financial products and services to individuals, small and medium sized enterprises, and corporate customers in Korea. Market cap at $14.44B.
6. SK Telecom Co. Ltd. (SKM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides wireless telecommunications services using code division multiple access (CDMA) and wide-band CDMA technologies. Market cap at $8.97B.
7. LG Display Co., Ltd. (LPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and supply of thin film transistor liquid crystal displays (TFT-LCD) to original equipment manufacturers and multinational corporations primarily in Asia, the United States, and Europe. Market cap at $8.70B.
10. Gravity Co., LTD. (GRVY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development and publishing of online games in Japan, Taiwan, Brazil, the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Russian Federation. Market cap at $59.77M.
(Written by Danny Guttridge)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- POSCO (PKX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Shinhan Financial Group Co. Ltd. (SHG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- KB Financial Group, Inc. (KB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Woori Finance Holdings Co. Ltd. (WF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SK Telecom Co. Ltd. (SKM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- LG Display Co., Ltd. (LPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- KT Corp. (KT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- MagnaChip Semiconductor (MX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- (GRVY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter