Rumor has it that on September 13 Nintendo (NTDOY) will announce November 11th as the release date for the Wii U. According to the rumors, various models will be priced at $249.99, $299.99, and $349.99. Not known yet is what consumers will get at each price-level.
Kaptall investors should know better than to trade on rumors, but there is some value in them. The growth of mobile gaming on smartphone has taken a toll on gaming. Video game sales slid again in August, according to research firm NPD Group.
Video game software sales dropped 9% year-over-year to $237.7 million. Total retail sales, which include game software, systems, and accessories, dropped 20% to $516 million. An updated release of a Nintendo console would be the first step in reversing the decline. More importantly, consumers need to wean off smartphone games for console gaming to take off again. New consoles for Microsoft’s (MSFT) X-Box, rumored for fall 2013, and Sony’s (SNE) Play Station would also help the gaming industry.
Investors wanting to get ahead of the curve should add these game companies to their watch list:
In the Multimedia & Graphics Software sector:
1. Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Publishes online, personal computer (PC), console, handheld, and mobile games of interactive entertainment worldwide. Market cap at $13.36B, most recent closing price at $11.98.
2. Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, publishes, and distributes game software and content for video game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and electronic readers, hand held game players, and the Internet. Market cap at $4.47B, most recent closing price at $13.82.
3. Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and distributes interactive entertainment software, hardware, and accessories worldwide. Market cap at $950.29M, most recent closing price at $10.46.
4. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $259.47B, most recent closing price at $30.62.
5. THQ Inc. (THQI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): A worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software for all game systems, including home video game consoles, such as the Microsoft Xbox 360 (Xbox 360), Nintendo Wii (Wii), Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) and Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2). Market cap at $29.4 million. Most recent open price at $4.28.
In the hardware space:
6. Sony Corporation (SNE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer, professional, and industrial markets worldwide. Market cap at $11.69B, most recent closing price at $11.82.
7. Nintendo Co., Ltd (NTDOY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Mainly engaged in the development, manufacture and sale of entertainment products in home entertainment field. Market cap at $15.65 billion. most recent open price at $13.92.
To get a snapshot for each company, click on the company icon. To get more detailed fundamental information on any of the companies, open the snapshot and select “number cruncher.”
Disclosure: Author has a long position on Electronic Arts.
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- THQ Inc. (THQI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sony Corporation (SNE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nintendo Co., Ltd (NTDOY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.