There is a new reigning champion of hedge funds, based on total money earned for clients: Ray Dalio of Bridgewater Associates. His Pure Alpha fund at Bridgewater has earned investors a total of $35.8 billion since its launch in 1975, according to a report at the end of February from Leveraged Capital Holdings. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
John Paulson and George Soros, two other well known contenders, still trail closely behind. Paulson had lost a crushing $9.6 billion in 2011, giving his Long-Term Capital Management net gains of $22.6 billion since its 1994 launch, according to Bloomberg Businessweek.
George Soros, who retired last year, and his fund Quantum Endowment Fund had net gains of $31.2 billion from 1973 through his retirement.
Although the hedge fund industry saw an average loss of 5.2% in 2011 according to Hedge Fund Research in Chicago, the industry is up 5% for the first two months of the year.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Do you think that 2012 can be a turnaround year for the hedge fund industry? Will winners like Dalio motivate other managers to succeed?
For a closer look at the industry, we ran a screen on the S&P 500 for stocks that are rallying above their 20-day, 50-day, and 200-day moving averages. We screened these names for those with the most significant net institutional purchases over the current quarter.
Do you think these stocks will continue to lead to gains for these hedge funds?
Use the Turbo Chart to Compare the Performance of the First Two Companies in the List to the S&P 500:
1. Salesforce.com (CRM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides customer and collaboration relationship management (CRM) services to various businesses and industries worldwide. The stock is currently rallying 9.45% above its 20-day moving average, 23.30% above its 50-day MA, and 12.00% above its 200-day MA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 6.5M shares, which represents about 5.2% of the company's float of 125.09M shares.
2. Micron Technology Inc. (MU, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and marketing of semiconductor devices worldwide. The stock is currently rallying 5.99% above its 20-day moving average, 15.75% above its 50-day MA, and 25.46% above its 200-day MA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 41.6M shares, which represents about 4.34% of the company's float of 959.39M shares.
3. Sears Holdings Corporation (SHLD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a retailer in the United States and Canada. The stock is currently rallying 38.99% above its 20-day moving average, 68.05% above its 50-day MA, and 24.69% above its 200-day MA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 1.8M shares, which represents about 4.41% of the company's float of 40.79M shares.
4. SanDisk Corp. (SNDK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, manufactures, and markets NAND-based flash data storage card products that are used in various consumer electronics products. The stock is currently rallying 6.62% above its 20-day moving average, 4.55% above its 50-day MA, and 13.51% above its 200-day MA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 11.3M shares, which represents about 4.74% of the company's float of 238.51M shares.
(Written by Alexander Crawford. Institutional data sourced from Fidelity.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Salesforce.com (CRM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Micron Technology Inc. (MU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sears Holdings Corporation (SHLD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SanDisk Corp. (SNDK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.