As the year ends and film studios release their best, cinephiles will want to watch these movie stocks.
You don't need to be a movie buff to know that many film studios save their most anticipated movies for the end of the year. The deadline for Academy Awards submissions coupled with the flurry of holiday spending make the last few weeks of December an exciting time to follow movie stocks.
Often the stocks of major studios go down on the day that they release a big hit. This has been true for many of the year's blockbusters so far. Lions Gate Films (LGF) took a small dip after the second Hunger Games robust opening weekend. However, that was after the stock returned more than 90% for the year.
True to form, Disney's (DIS) Frozen is generating a lot of hype as well, earning rave reviews and topping the box office over the weekend. Disney's stock is down about 0.4% this morning, although in a similar vein the stock is up 44% for the year.
Another major release to watch will be Viacom's (VIA) Anchorman 2. While the first film in the series performed modestly at the summer box office, it quickly developed a large following. The studio has also undertaken an expansive and unconventional marketing campaign: releasing a customized line of scotch, a book release, and even putting the fictitious Ron Burgundy on air to read a live news broadcast in Fargo, ND.
A movie stock popular among value investors is Time Warner Inc. (TWX). Time Warner is up 40% for the year, but still trades cheaply relative to its competitors at 2.0 times this year's earnings. Later this year the studio will release what will likely be its biggest title of 2013, The Hobbit 2.
Do you see the run-up to awards season as a good time to invest in movie studio stocks? Or just a good time to see a movie? We complied a list of some film industry stocks to watch.
Click on the interactive chart below to view analyst ratings over time.
So are there investing opportunities in the entertainment industry? Use the list below to begin your own analysis.
1. DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (DWA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, production, and exploitation of animated feature films and characters worldwide. Market cap at $2.86B, most recent closing price at $34.10.
3. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, new channel platforms, and digital distribution activities. Market cap at $4.18B, most recent closing price at $30.73.
4. Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $59.51B, most recent closing price at $66.57.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Invesment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc.(DWA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- 21st Century Fox(FOX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.(LGF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Time Warner Inc.(TWX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Walt Disney Co.(DIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- IMAX Corporation(IMAX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Regal Entertainment Group(RGC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Viacom Inc.(VIA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.