Smart money” investors like institutions and company insiders get this complimentary name because they’re in special positions of information power.
Institutional investors have access to sophisticated research, while company insiders know more about their companies than any other investors. When these groups of investors buy a stock, it’s a signal to take a second look.
It also helps to add a dimension of technical analysis to this method. For instance, stocks rallying above their recent moving averages may have the momentum to push even higher. Technical momentum, coupled with smart money buying interest, can be an interesting trade.
We ran a screen to utilize the buying trends of these smart money investors. We first screened for stocks rallying above their 20-day, 50-day, and 200-day moving averages.
We then screened for those with buying attention from the smart money, seeing significant net buying from institutional investors over the current quarter and from company insiders over the last six months.
Do you agree with the bullish sentiment coming from these smart money investors?
List sorted alphabetically.
1. Conns Inc. (CONN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a specialty retailer of home appliances, consumer electronics, home office equipment, lawn and garden products, mattresses, and furniture in the United States. Stock is currently trading 14.61% above its 20-day SMA, 28.36% above its 50-day SMA, and 56.23% above its 200-day SMA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 546.1K shares, which represents about 3.76% of the company's float of 14.52M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 20,000 shares, which represents about 0.14% of the company's 14.52M share float.
2. Citizens Republic Bancorp, Inc (CRBC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as the bank holding company for Citizens Bank that provides banking and financial services to individuals and businesses in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Indiana. Stock is currently trading 18.09% above its 20-day SMA, 28.79% above its 50-day SMA, and 26.88% above its 200-day SMA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 2.5M shares, which represents about 7.36% of the company's float of 33.95M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 118,000 shares, which represents about 0.35% of the company's 33.95M share float.
3. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, new channel platforms, and digital distribution activities. Stock is currently trading 7.08% above its 20-day SMA, 14.53% above its 50-day SMA, and 26.15% above its 200-day SMA. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 36.9M shares, which represents about 69.61% of the company's float of 53.01M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 919,823 shares, which represents about 1.74% of the company's 53.01M share float.
(Written by Alexander Crawford. Insider data sourced from Yahoo! Finance, institutional data sourced from Fidelity, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Conns Inc. (CONN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Citizens Republic Bancorp, Inc (CRBC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.