StockTwits is essentially Twitter for the stock markets. Users specifically tweet about markets trends, investment strategies and real-time company specific events. This last part, ticker specific tweets using “cashtags” (ex: $AAPL), is a great way for users to glean which stocks are generating the most interest.
We checked in at noon to see what caught people’s attention.
LinkedIn (LNKD) provided some nice earnings this morning, generating some confidence in the tech industry. Facebook (FB) is certainly happy to ride that wave and have seen nice gains following yesterdays sell off. The S&P 500 index is up as a whole, and it’s been a nice day so far for many firms.
So here are this morning’s most trending tickers, an explanation of why that is, and an example of the tweets generating the buzz:
We’ll check in again at the close.
1. Facebook, Inc. (FB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Market cap at $42.85B, most recent closing price at $20.06. The stock was actually up in morning trading, nearly 5%. This may be investors jumping at the newest low. Many investors don’t see this as lasting. The MadFiddler tweets, “If I had the money, I would be shorting $FB.”
2. LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates an online professional network. Market cap at $9.66B, most recent closing price at $106.73. Up 13% following earnings report, could be the reason why FB is rallying as well. Investorsmosaic tweets, “HOT or NOT for financial geeks: HOT: $LNKD / NOT: short sellers. What a difference from yesterday.”
3. Apple Inc. (AAPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers, mobile communication and media devices, and portable digital music players, as well as sells related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications worldwide. Market cap at $568.32B, most recent closing price at $615.10. Up moderately, 1.5%, people talking about it because it’s apple. No new iPhone or anything. Aapl_pain tweets, “@grgazoo25 $AAPL pretty much did its ramp I was talking about already. I could see it into close but not much more than $620.00.”
4. Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ALXN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of biologic therapeutic products in the United States, Europe, Latin America, Japan, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $19.65B, most recent closing price at $105.97. Rumors around this pharam company. CasualAnalysis tweets, “$ALXN continuing higher after takeover rumor hit earlier. Holding…”
5. Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule drugs for the treatment of cancer, metabolic, and cardiovascular disorders. Market cap at $879M, most recent closing price at $5.87. Down 4%, quarterly report coming this evening. TonyWeisner tweets, “Short that $EXEL and make that money babay!”
6. American International Group, Inc. (AIG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The company operates property and casualty insurance networks worldwide and conducts activities in the U.S. life insurance and retirement services industry. Market cap at $55.33B, most recent closing price at $30.86. Up around 0.8%, some investors are upset with the Uncle Sam and their relationship with the insurance giant. CoolBreeze tweets, “$AIG Dear Tim Geithner .. please declare ur intentions with $AIG so we can move on w/ our lives. We have $$ to make and u r holding us back.”
7. OpenTable Inc. (OPEN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides restaurant reservation solutions in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Asia. Market cap at $770.77M, most recent closing price at $39.90. Through the roof at 18.35%, comes from earnings beating expectations. Idrogen seems to not like people as much as his iPad tweeting “would love to be able to order my meal on $OPEN before I even get to the restaurant so i can just sit down and eat, not deal with the waiter.”
8. Skullcandy, Inc. (SKUL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops and distributes headphones and other audio accessories to retailers in the United States and to distributors in various countries worldwide. Market cap at $378.52M, most recent closing price at $15.11. Up over 3%, positive earnings this morning. AUb27 tweets, “$SKUL these audiophiles short skul dont understand style and branding, the headphones are selling”
9. SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): S&P 500 seeing nice gains today, over 2%. Danshep55 tweets, “since july we seen 4days of selling through the week then engulfing candle to wipe out losses. $SPY.”
10. Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Kraft Foods Inc., together with its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets packaged food products worldwide. Market cap at $69.04B, most recent closing price at $40.69. Up over 4% this morning, profits up 5% last quarter. Stoxline tweets, “$KFT up on large volume. target: 47.76.”
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Facebook, Inc. (FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Apple Inc. (AAPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ALXN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- American International Group, Inc. (AIG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- OpenTable Inc. (OPEN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Skullcandy, Inc. (SKUL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.