We took a closer look at some of the biggest George Soros stock picks, from Microsoft to Halliburton.
George Soros is known for a lot of things besides his investing prowess. In fact, the investment that made him famous happened over a decade ago – when he made over a billion dollars shorting the British Pound before what became known as "Black Wednesday."
While he is most famous for his currency transactions as an investor, Soros make headlines regularly for his controversial political stances and activist investment policies. He and Carl Icahn are squaring off against Bill Ackman's billion dollar Herbalife (HLF) short position, and he once said in a 2003 interview that for him, getting rid of George W. Bush was a "matter of life and death."
So this investor has some pretty strong opinions.
Since starting the Soros Management Fund back in the 1970s, he's realized about 20% annualized growth each year. But then Soros has also written extensively against investing in hedge funds – where he says the high fees make it too hard to actually beat the market.
We decided to take a look at the biggest holdings in Soros' portfolio by looking at his latest quarterly 13F filing – where hedge funds declare all the stocks they hold.
Over the course of the year, the most noticeable trends include some value plays in technology – his largest holding is Microsoft (MSFT) – and a number of oil and gas equipment stocks like Halliburton (HAL).
Among the Soros Fund's many investments, nine of the biggest holdings are listed below.
Click on the interactive chart to see data over time.
Do you see investing opportunities among some of the bigger George Soros stock picks? Use the list below to begin your own analysis.
1. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $313.3B, most recent closing price at $38.31.
2. FedEx Corporation (FDX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides transportation, e-commerce, and business services in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $43.31B, most recent closing price at $138.04.
3. Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, produces, and markets generic drugs; and proprietary branded pharmaceuticals in various therapeutic categories and active pharmaceutical ingredients worldwide. Market cap at $34.49B, most recent closing price at $40.20.
4. Halliburton Company (HAL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides various products and services to the energy industry for the exploration, development, and production of oil and natural gas worldwide. Market cap at $48.51B, most recent closing price at $52.02.
5. CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (CF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): CF Industries Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiary, CF Industries, Inc., manufactures and distributes nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer products, serving agricultural and industrial customers worldwide. Market cap at $12.33B, most recent closing price at $214.19.
6. Schlumberger Limited (SLB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Schlumberger Limited, together with its subsidiaries, supplies technology, integrated project management, and information solutions to the oil and gas exploration and production industries worldwide. Market cap at $122.59B, most recent closing price at $87.64.
7. The Mosaic Company (MOS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production and marketing of concentrated phosphate- and potash-based crop nutrients for the agriculture industry worldwide. Market cap at $20.23B, most recent closing price at $46.40.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Invesment Research.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Microsoft Corporation(MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- FedEx Corporation(FDX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited(TEVA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Halliburton Company(HAL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc.(CF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Schlumberger Limited(SLB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Mosaic Company(MOS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Yandex NV(YNDX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- BlackRock, Inc.(BLK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.