Keep an eye on these four stocks in the wake of the King Digital IPO saga.
When the King Digital (KING) IPO (initial public offering) completes on March 25, there will be 15.5 million shares sold to the market. At a price of up to $24, King will be worth as much as $7.6 billion. If markets hold up (it sold off heavily on March 13), King will be yet another successful IPO. Conservative investors might want to avoid King, and look elsewhere ahead of the IPO.
King is risky
King’s big achievement in the mobile space is its Candy Crush Saga game. At the high-end of the IPO Price of $24, King will open at nearly four times bookings of around $2 billion. By comparison, it will trade at half the market cap of Activision (ATVI), be on par with that of Electronic Arts (EA), and will dwarf Glu Mobile’s (GLUU) sub $400 million market cap.
Ever since Vivendi reduced its stake in Activision, liquidity for its shares improved and shares rose. A previous decision by the chancery court to halt Activision’s buyback was reversed. Unsurprisingly, short interest in its shares are down over 25% as of February 28.
Analysts expect positive momentum from Electronic Arts. Demand for its game, Titanfall may give its shares a boost.
Zynga (ZNGA) will most likely get the biggest boost ahead of King’s IPO. Zynga is moving aggressively into mobile, but is still be remembered as a company reliant on Facebook for growth. Back then, Zynga was best known for Mafia Wars and FarmVille. Farmville 2 will let users play offline on a mobile device. The game will also let users transfer goods between farms on Facebook and mobile.
Despite the temporary boost for Zynga, risks are high for Zynga and King. Both rely on hit game titles for growth. EA and Activision proved they can produce winning titles, on top of growing sales for other game titles. Speculators will therefore favor Zynga and King, but investors who want exposure to the gaming sector will want EA and Activision instead.
Glu Mobile is the least noticed company. It has hit game titles like Robocop. The movie release of Robocop in February should give the game persistent momentum.
Written by Chris Lau.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
1. Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Activision Blizzard, Inc. publishes online, personal computer (PC), console, handheld, and mobile games of interactive entertainment worldwide. Market cap at $14.67B, most recent closing price at $19.69.
2. Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, publishes, and distributes game software and content for video game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and electronic readers, hand held game players, and the Internet. Market cap at $8.64B, most recent closing price at $27.96.
3. Glu Mobile, Inc. (GLUU, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, marketing, and sale of casual and traditional mobile games worldwide. Market cap at $340.48M, most recent closing price at $4.76.
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Activision Blizzard, Inc.(ATVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Electronic Arts Inc.(EA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Glu Mobile, Inc.(GLUU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Facebook, Inc.(FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- LinkedIn Corporation(LNKD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.