Ok, they aren't the most exciting investments. But these dividend blue chip stocks are going ex-dividend soon.
In Las Vegas, a blue chip can be worth as little as $1. On Wall Street, a blue chip can be worth as little as $29 a share—as in the case of General Electric (GE)—or as much as $166 a share, which is how much 3M (MMM) fetches these days. And that doesn't even include dividend payments.
Blue-chip stocks are the stalwarts of investing. What these companies lack in glamour and explosive growth, they often make up in stability, profitability and slow and steady growth due to being well-established within their industry. Think about it this way: no one could ever accuse a blue-chip stock of being a "startup with no cash flow."
Several blue-chip stocks also offer dividends, delivering extra income to investors. In fact, all 30 blue chips included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average are dividend stocks. Widely recognized as the best barometer for tracking the overall market, the Dow is a price-weighted index; so stocks with the highest prices receive the most weight.
Dow components with the lowest prices get less weight or, in some cases, the boot. Alcoa (AA), Bank of America (BAC) and HP (before it split in two) were removed from the Dow in September 2013. S.&P. Dow Jones Indices, the company behind the index, decided to give the companies the heave-ho because of their falling prices and the company's desire to diversify the index's makeup—after all, it's supposed to be somewhat representative of the broader market.
If you're thinking about investing in blue-chip stocks, a good date to keep in mind is each stock's ex-dividend date. That's the date by which investors must purchase shares in order to receive a dividend payment. After that date has passed, investors are free to sell the stock if they please.
Below is a list of five blue-chip stocks that are part of the Dow Jones Industrial Average that offer dividend yields of 2% or higher. These stocks are going ex-dividend soon—some as early as today.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
1. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ): Engages in the research and development, manufacture, and sale of various products in the health care field worldwide. Market cap at $311.76B, most recent closing price at $113.83.
Dividend yield at 2.81%.
Ex-dividend date is Friday, May 20.
2. The Coca-Cola Company (KO): Distributes, and markets nonalcoholic beverages worldwide. Market cap at $193.01B, most recent closing price at $44.75.
Dividend yield at 3.13%.
Ex-dividend date is Monday, June 13.
3. 3M Company (MMM): Operates as a diversified technology company worldwide. Market cap at $101.12B, most recent closing price at $166.70.
Dividend yield at 2.65%.
Ex-dividend date is Wednesday, May 18.
4. The Travelers Companies Inc. (TRV): Provides various commercial and personal property and casualty insurance products and services to businesses, government units, associations, and individuals primarily in the United States. Market cap at $32.43B, most recent closing price at $110.42.
Dividend yield at 2.43%.
Ex-dividend date is Wednesday, June 8.
5. United Technologies Corporation (UTX): Provides technology products and services to building systems and aerospace industries around the world. Market cap at $83.59B, most recent closing price at $99.40.
Dividend yield at 2.64%.
Ex-dividend date is Wednesday, May 18.
(Monthly return data sourced from MOD. Ex-dividend data sourced from NASDAQ. All other data sourced from FINVIZ.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.