Looking to get in on the IPO hype? According to IPOScoop, of the last 100 IPOs 65 are trading up from their opening price, 34 are down, and 1 is unchanged. On average, these 100 names are up 14.72% since debut. With returns like these, it’s no wonder investors are eager to jump in.
More data: 85 names have debuted since 2012. Remember, rocky economic conditions meant scheduled IPOs were quick to cancel their opening with the hopes of reentering in more favorable conditions. Facebook was a notable exception during that time period, and everyone knows how that turned out.
Since Facebook (FB), which down 42.8% since opening, 15 more names have entered the scene with remarkable successful results – Only 4 are trading below opening price. Notable names include ServiceNow (NOW), up 50%, Five Below (FIVE), up 72.6%, and KAYAK Software (KYAK), up 29%. E2open (EOPN) has had the worst performance, trading down 16%.
What to Expect When You Have No Idea What to Expect
It’s August, and for those new to the IPO Watch, that means it’s slow season.
IPOScoop sums it up quite nicely:
After the next two weeks, “the calendar will probably close down for its traditional hibernation period from about two weeks before Labor Day to about two weeks after the early September holiday. During August 2011, only four IPOs made it out the door.”
So which names are coming in at the last minute? The schedule lists three, but don’t hold your breath on these names ever making it out the door:
1. Eloqua Limited (ELOQ) at $9.5-11.5/share, expected to trade 08/02/12.
2. Globus Medical (GMED) at $16-18/share, expected to trade 08/02/12.
3. Stemline Therapeutics (STML) at $11-13/share, expected to trade 08/02/12.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
With a nod to our newest IPOs, here are the most recent 20 names and their performance since debut. Current price as of market close on August 1.
For your scanning pleasure, Facebook is number 16. Average return of IPOs after Facebook at 18.32%.
Do you think these names have any more upside to price in? And will the 3 names listed above be so “lucky”?
Written by Rebecca Lipman. Data sourced from IPOscoop.com.
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- AmREIT (AMRE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Del Friscos Restaurant Group (DFRG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- E2open (EOPN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hyperion Therapeutics (HPTX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Northern Tier Energy (NTI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chuy’s Holdings (CHUY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- KAYAK Software (KYAK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Palo Alto Networks (PANW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Durata Therapeutics (DRTX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Five Below (FIVE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- ServiceNow (NOW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Exa Corporation (EXA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- TESARO (TSRO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- EQT Midstream Partners, LP (EQM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Facebook (FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Edwards Group Limited (EVAC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Ignite Restaurant Group (IRG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Audience (ADNC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- WageWorks (WAGE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.