When CEO Andrew Mason was featured on Bloomberg Businessweek in July, Groupon (GRPN) shares were still trading at around $10. The CEO talked about the daily deal, which helped the company build a network of relationships with customers and merchants. Since the article was published, shares are now trading at around half that, and 85% below its 52-week high.
Investors are giving up on Groupon. Previous backers are selling. Venture capitalist Marc Andreessen sold, Fidelity Management reduced its stake by 6.2 million shares to 13.2 million (as at June 30), and Maverick Capital sold 4.35 million shares.
Investors are rightfully worried that accounts payable figures will be worse next quarter, which would hurt cash levels and earnings for the company. Marketing costs are also increasing substantially, as the company grows internationally.
Taken from Kapitall’s Number Cruncher and looking at the bar-chart trend, there are some alarming figures:
- Under liabilities, Deferred charges more than doubled from the previous quarter
- Deferred Charges and Taxes Income more than doubled
Which companies may face weakness along with Groupon, as investors grow more weary in the social media sector?
Companies trading close to or above their IPO price are:
7. LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates an online professional network. Market cap at $10.88B, most recent closing price at $102.92. Yelp traded sharply lower from its $26 peak in August. Investors fear Google’s (GOOG) acquisition of Frommer will hurt the company.
Companies holding Groupon shares include:
8. T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. (TROW, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): A publicly owned asset management holding company. Market cap at $15.76B, most recent closing price at $62.09. T Rowe Price added 21.4 million shares in Groupon, and holds 75.1 million shares.
9. Morgan Stanley (MS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides various financial products and services to corporations, governments, financial institutions, and individuals worldwide. Market cap at $29.39B, most recent closing price at $14.83. Morgan Stanley was the lead underwriter for Groupon’s IPO and holds 15.7 million shares of Groupon.
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Groupon, Inc. (GRPN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Zynga, Inc. (ZNGA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Pandora Media, Inc. (P, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Renren Inc. (RENN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Facebook, Inc. (FB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Yelp, Inc. (YELP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- LinkedIn Corporation (LNKD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. (TROW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Morgan Stanley (MS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.