The US Commerce Department had some bad news yesterday: Durable goods orders sank 13.2% in August. Several news outlets have already pointed out that the slump is influenced primarily by a decrease in aircraft orders: Boeing (BA) saw orders plummet from July to August.
But there was a thick silver lining in capital goods orders, an indicator of future sales for upgrading business. It increased 1.1%.
The reaction in the market was immediate, perhaps best illustrated by Thor Industries (THO) which makes recreational and commercial busses, whose shares surged ahead of other capital goods producers. Manitowoc (MTW) did the same; it has two capital good markets: cranes and foodservice equipment.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
We list below some names on the front end of the US Commerce Department’s reports.
Use the Compar-O-Matic to see changes in monthly returns for the stocks listed below:
1. Boeing Co. (BA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, sale, and support of commercial jetliners, military aircraft, satellites, missile defense, human space flight, and launch systems and services worldwide. Market cap at $52.81B, most recent closing price at $70.25.
2. Thor Industries Inc. (THO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Together with its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells a range of recreation vehicles and small and mid-size buses, as well as related parts and accessories in the United States and Canada. Market cap at $1.82B, most recent closing price at $34.41.
3. Applied Industrial Technologies, Inc. (AIT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Distributes industrial supply products for maintenance, repair, and operational needs in the government and commercial sectors in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $1.75B, most recent closing price at $41.63.
4. Caterpillar Inc. (CAT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Manufactures and sells construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines, and diesel-electric locomotives worldwide. Market cap at $56.8B, most recent closing price at $86.95.
5. Manitowoc Co. Inc. (MTW, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and sale of cranes and related products, and foodservice equipment. Market cap at $1.72B, most recent closing price at $13.01.
Written by Freda Ding
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Boeing Co. (BA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Thor Industries Inc. (THO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Applied Industrial Technologies, Inc. (AIT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Caterpillar Inc. (CAT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Manitowoc Co. Inc. (MTW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter