This weekend Madagascar 3 stole the box office charts, opening at $60.4 million in North America and $75.5 million abroad. Madagascar was produced by Dreamworks Studios (DWA) and distributed by Paramount Pictures, owned by Viacom (VIAB).
The reason the movie did so well is thought to be because of a lack of family friendly films available in theatres. So far the summer season has been filled with action-packed, high-budget films like Men in Black 3 from Columbia Pictures-Sony (SNE), and Marvel Studio’s Avengers, Disney (DIS). The family friendly film starring well-know actors such as Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, and SachaBaren-Cohen was received openly as a change of pace from highly anticipated action movies.
MIB 3’s box office total rose to $441.7 million and The Avengers to $1.2 billion.
Behind Madagascar in the box office was Prometheus, from 20th Century Fox- News Corp (NWSA), which opened at $50 million. Last weeks' hit, Snow White and the Huntsman added $23 million to its total of $182 million.
2012 has seen one blockbuster after another, and movie theaters have been raking in the profits. Indeed, box office numbers are significantly higher than they were at this point and year-to-date last year. It begs the questions: What studio will release the next big hit?
Here’s a list of the key players:
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
2. DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (DWA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, production, and exploitation of animated feature films and characters worldwide. Market cap at $1.51B, most recent closing price at $18.01.
5. Sony Corporation (SNE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer, professional, and industrial markets worldwide. Market cap at $12.91B, most recent closing price at $12.85.
7. Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides entertainment, information, and communications products and services in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $81.61B, most recent closing price at $30.27.
8. Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $33.82B, most recent closing price at $35.23.
(Written By Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Viacom, Inc. (VIAB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (DWA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- News Corp. (NWSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- IMAX Corporation (IMAX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sony Corporation (SNE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.