Some of the most respected and followed investors tend to be of the value investing philosophy. For examples, look no further than legends like Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffet. However, there are some value investors that stay out of the spotlight. Seth Klarman is one of those under-the-radar names. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
This graduate of Cornell University and Harvard Business School launched his private-investment partnership, The Baupost Group, in 1983 after finishing business school.
The Boston-based fund recently placed fifth among 10 of the largest hedge fund in America, with $25.0 billion under management. As of December 31, 2011, funds managed by Seth Klarman were valued at $3.34 billion.
According to the most recent 13F SEC filing, as of Q4 of 2011, Baupost held 22 total positions.
Investment activity in the quarter, as summarized by Stockpickr.com, are:
Despite a decrease, Klarman biggest holding is BP PLC, followed by ViaSat (VSAT), a technology company that specializes in communication related equipment.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Here are Klarman's current top holdings, updated by Stockpickr on March 8th, 2012:
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
1. BP plc (BP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, retail services, and petrochemicals products. 15.37% of portfolio. 17.24 million shares. Position decreased by 1.74 million shares, -12.7%
2. ViaSat Inc. (VSAT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, production, and marketing of satellite and other wireless communication, and networking systems for government and commercial customers. 14.52% of portfolio. 10.5 million shares. Position unchanged
3. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. 14.48% of portfolio. 18.75 million shares. Position decreased by 2 million shares, -9.6%.
4. Theravance Inc. (THRX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule medicines for various therapeutic areas, including respiratory disease, bacterial infections, and central nervous system (CNS)/pain. 9.42% of portfolio. 14.23 million shares. Position unchanged
5. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. 9.34% of portfolio. 12 million shares. Position unchanged
8. Allied Nevada Gold Corp. (ANV, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the evaluation, acquisition, exploration, and advancement of gold exploration and development projects in the state of Nevada. 2.64% of portfolio. 4.01 million shares. Position increased by 512,750 shares, +14.7%
9. AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AVEO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery and development of cancer therapeutics. 2.62% of portfolio. 5.08 million shares. Position increased by 84,650 shares, +1.7%
10. Genworth Financial Inc. (GNW, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides insurance, wealth management, investment, and financial solutions in the United States and internationally. 1.96% of portfolio. 10 million shares. Position unchanged
(Written by Rebecca Lipman. Data sourced from Finviz and Stockpickr)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- BP plc (BP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- ViaSat Inc. (VSAT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Theravance Inc. (THRX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- News Corp. (NWSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- News Corp (NWS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Allied Nevada Gold Corp. (ANV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AVEO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Genworth Financial Inc. (GNW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.