Summer movie season is upon us and we're looking for the next big film to rake in the big bucks and to see who's getting a slice of what.
For now, our sights are drawn to Marvel's The Avengers, which hits theaters Friday. The action packed super hero flick is expected to bring in more hype and ticket sales than the 2012 blockbuster surprise, The Hunger Games.
For reference, Hollywood Reporter estimates an opening of $150 million or greater. The Hunger Games brought in $152.5 million at opening.
The Avengers has plenty to suggest it will surpass ticket sale estimates in its debut weekend. The superhero film reunion is already sending hard-core comic fans into a faint just thinking about seeing all their favorites on the same screen. Most importantly, Avengers is the going to be the sequel of all sequels, and nothing warms up theater seats like a sequel. It's attracting fans of Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye – all played by America's favorite celebrities.
Follow the Money Trail:
We all know big movies bring in big money – but depending on the rights holders, the funds can be dispersed in countless directions.
This is demonstrated by The Hunger Games, whose film producer Lions Gate (LGF) saw shares jump more 80% in the first few months of the year as more investors realized just how big the hype was likely to increase sales. Similarly, Scholastic (SCHL) reported better-than-expected book sales that boosted shares nearly 15%.
Along the same lines, The Avengers is based on the Marvel Comics, which was acquired by The Walt Disney Company (DIS) in December of 2009. Disney, currently trading around $43.81 is just about at its 52-week high of $44.50, reached only days ago. It started the year at $37.50.
Similarly, the movie is produced by Viacom Inc.'s (VIAB) Paramount Pictures. Shares are up 7.95% year-to-date with significant growth in the start of May.
Surely the hype over Avengers can be credited for part of the boost. The question is, does it have more room to grow?
Other plays on The Avengers are the IMAX Corporation (IMAX) and RealD Inc. (RLD), which provide the viewing enhancements that seem to exist purely for films like these, and less so for the chick flick comedy. Indeed, it's as if these companies wait around for big films like The Avengers to hit theaters so the audience will feel the charge for a 3D/IMAX ticket is worth the extra cost.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Sure, the names mentioned above are strong plays for the Avengers hype, but the year has only just begun. And just think, we haven't even discussed The Hobbit or the Fifty Shades of Grey movie expected for later this year.
With all of this in mind we have to wonder where movie theater companies fall as a second derivative play. We list theater stocks below:
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
3. Reading International Inc. (RDI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, ownership, and operation of entertainment and real property assets in the United States, Australia, and New Zealand. Market cap of $120.19M.
(Written by Rebecca Lipman. Data sourced from Finviz.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Carmike Cinemas Inc. (CKEC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Cinemark Holdings Inc. (CNK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Reading International Inc. (RDI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rentrak Corporation (RENT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP (RGC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- RealD Inc. (RLD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter