An advocacy group recently complained that findings show a chemical used in sodas caused tumors in animals, but the FDA disagrees about the potential health risks. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
A person would have to drink more than a thousand cans of soda in a day to match the doses administered in studies that showed links to cancer in rodents, said FDA spokesman Douglas Karas (via Bloomberg).
The chemical of debate is 4-methylimidazole, used in coloring for sodas such as Coke, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper. According to Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the consumer group Center for Science in the Public Interest, “Coke and Pepsi, with the acquiescence of the FDA, are needlessly exposing millions of Americans to a chemical that causes cancer.”
The American Beverage Association called the claims "outrageous" and "nothing more than scare tactics." The FDA's Karas said the FDA has no reason to believe consumers are in danger. (via Bloomberg)
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Rumors of soda as a carcinogen have been around for decades, but do you think stories like this will start scaring consumers away? For a look at the soda industry, we list the largest US soft drink-makers trading on US exchanges.
Do you think they will see an aftershock from these rumors?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and distribution of non-alcoholic beverages in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $8.03B.
(Written by Alexander Crawford.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (DPS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- National Beverage Corp. (FIZZ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Pepsico, Inc. (PEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.