Facebook's IPO is set to debut sometime next week, maybe Monday, and boy are people excited about it. Understandably so: What company better represents the world of social media? Or can even compare in hype?
As far as time-wasters and user-friendly stalker services go, Facebook is king of the internet. And like true royalty, the tabloids are littered with speculation. Here's what the rumor mill has established so far:
– Facebook's IPO valuation is expected to be somewhere between $75 billion and $100 billion.
– Reports suggest Facebook's 2011 revenues – mostly advertisements – came in around $4 billion.
– CNBC Julie Boorstein recently tweeted "Sources tell me Facebooks's 2011 revenue was $3.8B, operating profit around $1.5B." This leaked information is basically in line with several reports heard in late 2011.
But we were thinking, with an operating margin of 39.74% (operating profit / revenue = 1.5B / 3.8B = 39.47%) is Facebook really worth a $100 billion valuation?
For those who need a reminder, a company's operating margin tells us the percentage of revenues remaining after all operating expenses are paid. Operating expenses include supplies, wages, repairs, research and development, and depreciation.
If Facebook has a 39.47% operating margin, it means it actually makes $0.3947 (before interest and taxes) for every dollar of sales.
This isn't bad, but it isn't great either.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
With that in mind, we wanted to identify a list of tech companies with higher operating margins than Facebook. These companies are not valued at $100 billion and above, so why is Facebook?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for all the stocks mentioned below:
List sorted by operating margin.
2. Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (CHKP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, and supports a range of software, and combined hardware and software products and services for information technology (IT) security applications worldwide. Operating margin at 56.17%.
6. Hittite Microwave Corporation (HITT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs and develops integrated circuits, modules, and subsystems for technically demanding radio-frequency, microwave, and millimeter-wave applications. Operating margin at 47.77%.
9. SolarWinds, Inc. (SWI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, markets, sells, and supports enterprise information technology (IT) infrastructure management software to IT professionals. Operating margin at 43.25%.
(Article by Rebecca Lipman; List compiled by Eben Esterhuizen, CFA)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Changyou.com Limited (CYOU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (CHKP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Baidu, Inc. (BIDU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Linear Technology Corp. (LLTC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- InterDigital, Inc. (IDCC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hittite Microwave Corporation (HITT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- NetEase.com, Inc. (NTES, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (DLB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SolarWinds, Inc. (SWI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- VeriSign Inc. (VRSN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.