Will these 7 environmentally friendly companies see a boost from Earth Day-inspired awareness?
The first Earth Day was held in 1970, the result of a surging environmental movement that started to gain traction in the mid-20th century.
Launching the day in 1970 was no coincidence. The previous August, Cleveland's Cuyahoga river caught fire for the 13th time, catching notice of Time Magazine. The visibility and embarrassing extremes of the Cuyahoga's environmental woes are credited with giving rise to the mainstream environmental movement.
After the fire, it was only a matter of time before Congress started to act. Earth Day was officially founded by Wisconsin Democrat and Senator Gaylord Nelson, who would go on to introduce the Clean Air and Water Act.
Earth Day was conceived as an educational event, and so the day was chosen specifically to cater to college students. April 22 falls in between mid-terms and final exams, and the middle of the week was seen as less likely to conflict with other campus events.
2014's extreme winter coupled with a landmark, UN sponsored investigation into the effects of climate change have made for a particularly visible Earth Day this year. The UN found that climate change has advanced more than previous estimates predicted, but it also estimated that the costs of alleviating climate change may be smaller than previously forecast.
By some estimates, switching away from fossil fuels and coal entirely would only retard global growth by 0.06%.
In the event of new environmental legislation, companies that have already upgraded their technologies to be more sustainable will have a major advantage. We decided to build a list of stocks based on which companies had the highest environmental ratings from our partner CSRHub.
CSRHub measures corporate social responsibility. It scores companies based on things like governance, diversity, employee pay, and their impact on the environment. Scores range from 1-100, but the average environmental score is around 50.
We built a list of the 7 stocks that had an environmental rating of 80 or higher.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
These companies do their part to protect the environment. Will consumers reward their efforts? Use the list below to begin your analysis.
1. Echelon Corporation (ELON, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, and sells energy control networking solutions primarily in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific/Japan. Market cap at $119.67M, most recent closing price at $2.65.
CSR Environmental Rating: 86
2. Celadon Group Inc. (CGI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides transportation services between the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $521.14M, most recent closing price at $22.49.
CSR Environmental Rating: 82
3. Pier 1 Imports, Inc. (PIR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as an importer and specialty retailer of imported decorative home furnishings and gifts in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Market cap at $1.81B, most recent closing price at $17.78.
CSR Environment Rating: 83
4. Fuel Systems Solutions, Inc. (FSYS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, and supply of alternative fuel components for use in the transportation, industrial, and power generation markets. Market cap at $198.65M, most recent closing price at $9.91.
CSR Environmental Rating: 81
5. Chelsea Therapeutics International Ltd. (CHTP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd., focuses on acquisition and development of pharmaceutical products. Market cap at $381.10M, most recent closing price at $4.92.
CSR Environmental Rating: 88
CSR Environmental Rating: 83
CSR Environmental Rating: 87
(List compiled by James Dennin. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research, environmental ratings sourced from CSRHub.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Echelon Corporation(ELON, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Celadon Group Inc.(CGI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Pier 1 Imports, Inc.(PIR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Fuel Systems Solutions, Inc.(FSYS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chelsea Therapeutics International Ltd.(CHTP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- GNC Holdings Inc.(GNC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Weis Markets, Inc.(WMK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.