Three healthcare companies reported their earnings this morning and one of them, healthcare insurance provider Aetna (AET), came out with a strong positive earnings surprise. Pfizer (PFE) beat earnings estimates as well, but only by a cent. And at Merck & Co. (MRK) revenues were down, a result of disappointing sales of its diabetes and arthritis drugs.
Aetna's second-quarter earnings jumped by 17%, to $1.49 per share. The company adjusted its 2013 earnings to between $5.80 and $5.90, beating analyst ratings.
Pfizer's earnings were up on the back of a strong rise in net income. However, much of the extra cash came from a patent settlement, and actual revenue fell just short of the $13.03 billion dollars estimated by analysts.
Do you consider earnings reports when making investment decisions? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis.
3. Merck & Co. Inc. (MRK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides various health solutions through its prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, animal health, and consumer care products. Market cap at $146.08B, most recent closing price at $48.34.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Pfizer Inc.(PFE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Aetna Inc.(AET, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Merck & Co. Inc.(MRK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, TheStreet and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.