On Wednesday, August 1st, one of the largest names in the media and entertainment business will be reporting earnings: Time Warner Inc. (TWX). Time Warner owns a host of networks including HBO, TBS, TNT, CNN, Cartoon Network and others. Warner Brothers Studio (who most recently released the blockbuster “The Dark Knight Rises”) is also an affiliate of the parent company along with several magazines.
EPS is expected to be at $0.58. In the first quarter TWX posted EPS of $0.67 when Zacks analysts projected $0.64, this performance was 16% higher than the quarter the previous year. Over the last four quarters TWX has had an average earnings surprise of 6.3%.
Right now, zero Zacks analysts have a “sell” rating on TWX. There are 9 “hold” 3 “moderate buy” and 13 “buy” ratings in total. The average target price is $42.60 and the stock was trading in the $39.00 range on Tuesday.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Time Warner is a major player in the media and entertainment industry. Because they are so spread out across multiple platforms, it will be important to break down this earnings report to see where the gains and losses are. For example, if the report shows that TV and Movies did well, but print media operated at a loss, it may be worth wile to look into other digital media firms, but stay clear of print.
The big picture won’t tell the whole story for TWX, so be sure to break down the report. The health of their divisions may be hinting at a trend since their presence is so grand.
Do you think they will beat expectations again? Their most recent performance has been solid, we’ll see if they kept it up.
Use the Compar-O-Matic to see average analyst recommendations for media giants:
1. Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $37.03B, most recent closing price at $38.58.
2. Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides entertainment, information, and communications products and services in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $86.84B, most recent closing price at $32.21.
6. News Corp. (NWSA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a diversified media company worldwide. Market cap at $56.35B, most recent closing price at $23.27.
More charts and data available on Kapitall.com..
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- CBS Corporation (CBS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Viacom, Inc. (VIAB, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- News Corp. (NWSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.