Cloud computing seems to be one of the fastest growing technological fields. The cloud is data storage (documents, music, photos etc) for users on a network. A user can access their cloud from almost anywhere with different devices.
For example, with Apple’s (AAPL) iCloud, the user can sync multiples multiple Apple products (e.g. iPad, iPhone, iPod, AppleTV) together wirelessly. That means updating the iPhone without plugging it in to the computer.
The Big Boys
It comes as no surprise that some of the biggest names in technology are competing over the Cloud computing market. Amazon (AMZN), HP (HPQ), IBM (IBM) and others are desperately fighting to grow their piece of the Cloud pie.
Each company has their own twist on the cloud. Microsoft’s has Office integrated, just like Apple and Google integrated their popular software. To get the average user into the Cloud, companies offer 5-7GB free, depending on the provider. Many businesses have already adopted the Cloud and the industry seems poised to grow at a rapid pace.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
The cloud computing industry is made up of many players, and there’s no indication that one will take a monopoly on the market. Like the smartphone industry, the players will likely grow and fall in dominance as users transition from one platform to another, drawn by advanced capabilities and competitive offerings.
Interested in keeping a close eye on the trend? Many of the key players offer cloud computing as a small but growing subset of their business so there are few pure-play opportunities. Still, here’s a list of the main companies involved in providing the Cloud.
Do you think changes in the cloud industry will significantly impact their share value?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare market caps for the stocks mentioned below:
2. Apple Inc. (AAPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers, mobile communication and media devices, and portable digital music players, as well as sells related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications worldwide. Market cap at $554.01B, most recent closing price at $592.52.
3. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. Market cap at $39.75B, most recent closing price at $20.16.
4. International Business Machines Corp. (IBM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides information technology (IT) products and services worldwide. Market cap at $225.89B, most recent closing price at $195.83.
5. SAP AG (SAP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides business software primarily in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the Americas, and the Asia Pacific Japan region. Market cap at $71.46B, most recent closing price at $60.03.
6. Intel Corporation (INTC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of integrated circuits for computing and communications industries worldwide. Market cap at $135.74B, most recent closing price at $26.98.
7. Oracle Corporation (ORCL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, markets, distributes, and services database and middleware software, applications software, and hardware systems worldwide. Market cap at $145.47B, most recent closing price at $29.80.
9. Dell Inc. (DELL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides integrated technology solutions in the information technology (IT) industry worldwide. Market cap at $21.66B, most recent closing price at $12.39.
10. VMware, Inc. (VMW, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides virtualization and virtualization-based cloud infrastructure solutions primarily in the United States. Market cap at $38.67B, most recent closing price at $90.51.
11. Salesforce.com (CRM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides customer and collaboration relationship management (CRM) services to various businesses and industries worldwide. Market cap at $19.91B, most recent closing price at $139.07.
(Written by Ryan Horch)
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Google Inc. (GOOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Apple Inc. (AAPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- International Business Machines Corp. (IBM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- SAP AG (SAP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Intel Corporation (INTC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Oracle Corporation (ORCL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dell Inc. (DELL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- VMware, Inc. (VMW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Salesforce.com (CRM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.