Carl Icahn's son is winning their bet about Netflix. Since selling shares, Netflix has climbed and climbed.
Carl Icahn has made a fortune in risk arbitrage and hostile takeovers. The one for which he is most famous, his takeover of the storied airline TWA, netted him almost a billion dollars when he bought the company's debt and sold its best assets, a practice which was later called asset stripping.
Since then Icahn gained a reputation as an activist investor, one who's not afraid of sharing his opinions with major CEOs, as well as the Twittersphere. Since he took to social media, a number of articles have been written tracking stocks that jump whenever Icahn tweets about them.
He's also done pretty well in technology. Icahn made over $800 million as an early stakeholder in Netflix (NFLX), before selling about half his shares last year.
But his son Brett, who works for his father at Icahn Enterprises (IEP), disagreed with the sale. They made a bet that Netflix would continue to rise, which it did, about 20% so far. As a result, the younger Icahn will get an adjusted share of the funds' earnings, to account for what he would have gotten if they had held Netflix for longer.
Brett's? A cool $15 million.
Not bad, Grasshopper. Two generations of investing wisdom in the same fund? Seems like something that's worth paying attention to. So we decided to look up some of Icahn's other holdings.
Click on the interactive chart below to view data over time.
Do you see investing opportunities in some of Carl Icahn's biggest holdings? Use the list below to begin your own analysis. Included are the weightings in Icahn's portfolio as of 9-30-2013.
1. Apple Inc. (AAPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets PCs, mobile devices, and portable digital music players, and sells related software, services, and third-party digital applications. Market cap at $495.01B, most recent closing price at $556.18.
3. Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers worldwide. Market cap at $4.88B, most recent closing price at $15.79.
4. Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the acquisition, development, exploration, and production of natural gas and oil properties in the United States. Market cap at $17.47B, most recent closing price at $26.90.
5. Icahn Enterprises, L.P. (IEP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in investment management, automotive, gaming, railcar, food packaging, metals, real estate, and home fashion businesses. Market cap at $12.61B, most recent closing price at $114.92.
6. Talisman Energy Inc. (TLM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the exploration, development, production, transportation, and marketing of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids. Market cap at $11.80B, most recent closing price at $11.68.
7. Navistar International Corporation (NAV, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Manufactures and sells commercial and military trucks, buses, diesel engines, recreational vehicles (RVs), and chassis. Market cap at $2.73B, most recent closing price at $35.15.
(List compiled by James Dennin. Carl Ichan's holdings sourced from GuruFocus. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Apple Inc.(AAPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Federal-Mogul Corp.(FDML, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nuance Communications, Inc.(NUAN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation(CHK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Icahn Enterprises, L.P.(IEP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Talisman Energy Inc.(TLM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Navistar International Corporation(NAV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.