On Wednesday morning, Burger King (BKW) boldly went where it’s been twice before: to the NYSE. This was not an IPO, just a reentering to the market. The fast food chain has been traded publicly twice before, this is the third go around. The stock was up 7% from its initial price of $14.50.
BK coming back to the market is a result of a reverse merger with UK based Justice Holdings.
-In 2002, Goldman Sachs, TPG Capital, and Bain Capital took Burger King private.
-It was resold in 2006
-In 2010, 3G Capital took it private again
-Presently available to trade
Burger King is the second largest hamburger chain in the world, second only to McDonald’s (MCD). Wendy’s (WEN) is another competitor in the industry, although BK will be hoping that they can perform opposite of the two largest competitors who are both down between 10-15% on the year.
Other fast food chains like Pizza Hut and KFC (both under YUM) have done quite well recently, posting gains near 15% for the year.
Why This Time is any Different
Well, it may not be. McDonald’s and Wendy’s have been slipping and Burger King has a pretty similar menu. They introduced a more or less healthier menu with salads and fruit smoothies and plan to remodel many of their locations. They also added a new artery-clogger, the Bacon Sundae. (pictured above)
Over the next 5-7 years, BK is opening 1000 locations in China to expand their international presence.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
Could the new stores opening worldwide along with remodeling and a new menu be enough to sustain BKW growth? Or is McDonalds just too big to compete with and the same old Whopper not enough to get excited about?
-In other news, still no IPO since Facebook
4. Yum! Brands, Inc. (YUM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a quick service restaurant company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $29.67B, most recent closing price at $64.42.
Written by Ryan Horch
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Burger King Worldwide (BKW, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- McDonald’s Corp. (MCD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The Wendy’s Company (WEN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Yum! Brands, Inc. (YUM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.