This is a the second part of a new series discovering interesting businesses you can invest in. Overlooked goods, obscure commodities, new technologies, and the companies behind them. Here are some cold weather-themed companies you may or may not be familiar with.
Compass Minerals International (CMP)
When the roads are covered with ice, the salt that’s sprayed most likely comes from Compass Minerals. Its subsidiary, North American Salt Company, is the largest producer of of rock salt in the US used for deicing highways. Salt Union Ltd. is its British counterpart. Compass, based in Kansas, has facilities across North America. In addition to mining underground, the company uses mechanical and solar evaporation to produce salt. The latter take place at the Great Salt Lake. Byproduct, potash, provides CMP with its second business line: speciality fertilizer
Polaris Industries (PII)
This stock was recently awarded a buy rating from Citigroup and has been on a lot of watchlists. The company designs and manufactures off-road vehicles and snowmobiles and is also located in the Great Lake area. Polaris just started a projected to expand its research and development facility in Wyoming, MN (that’s a town in Minnesota).
Deckers Outdoor (DECK)
This is a footwear company trading at a very attractive price. The company owns a portfolio of mostly niche brands but the only one you need to know is Ugg. A cold winter could see the shoe defy its supposed fad trajectory which is scaring away investors. The shoes still boast a strong profit margin and a new line targeted towards men has Tom Brady as the spokesperson.
Here’s some more data on these names and links to help you further your analysis.
1. Compass Minerals International Inc. (CMP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Produces and markets inorganic mineral products primarily in North America and the United Kingdom. Market cap at $2.53B, most recent closing price at $76.41.
3. Deckers Outdoor Corp. (DECK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, production, marketing, and brand management of footwear and accessories for outdoor activities and everyday casual lifestyle use. Market cap at $1.3B, most recent closing price at $35.06.
Written by Freda Ding
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Compass Minerals International Inc. (CMP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Polaris Industris, Inc. (PII, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Deckers Outdoor Corp. (DECK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter