Valeant, once known as Biovail, was formed after a 50/50 merger with Valeant. Shares are up nearly 14%, trading at around $58 at the time of writing. Investors are reacting positively to the purchase, because Valeant has a positive track-record in turning its acquisitions into profits.
Valeant is good at generating profits from its acquisitions. The company itself reduced its management layer, focused on a specific area of medicine, and grew itself by acquiring companies that met its focused mandate in the area of dermatology.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Before buying any drug and biotechnology stocks on speculation that it will be taken over, ask yourself these questions:
1. Is the company developing a drug that would appeal to a bigger player?
2. What phase is its potential product at in its clinical study?
3. Does the company have sufficient cash for more research in development; should there be delays in its product development?
4. Is a takeover already priced in its shares?
5. Will the company be able to raise cash from the market or run on its own in the absence of a takeover?
6. Will the company be able to raise cash from the market or run on its own in the absence of a takeover?
7. Is the company held by any mutual or hedge funds?
Here’s a list of stocks we think meet these criteria: List Average 1-Year Return: 103%
1. Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ARNA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on discovering, developing, and commercializing oral drugs in the therapeutic areas of cardiovascular, central nervous system, inflammatory, and metabolic diseases. Market cap at $1.98B, most recent closing price at $9.11. Further research about buying Arena is available at Seeking Alpha.
2. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (VRX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): A specialty pharmaceutical company, develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceutical products in the areas of neurology, dermatology, and branded generics. Market cap at $15.26B, most recent closing price at $51.19.
3. Theravance Inc. (THRX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule medicines for various therapeutic areas, including respiratory disease, bacterial infections, and central nervous system (CNS)/pain. Market cap at $2.63B, most recent closing price at $27.10. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) increased its ownership in Theravance, and now owns 25.8 million, or 26.7% of the total outstanding shares.
Dendreon often makes the news as a potential takeover target:
4. Dendreon Corp. (DNDN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapeutics to enhance cancer treatment options for patients. Market cap at $700.79M, most recent closing price at $4.54. Dendreon was talk of being an acquisition target between June and July.
These companies have hedge fund ownership:
5. Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc. (IDIX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery and development of drugs for the treatment of human viral and other infectious diseases in the United States and Europe. Market cap at $761.22M, most recent closing price at $5.83. Baupost owns 10 million shares in this company.
6. Aveo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AVEO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery and development of cancer therapeutics. Market cap at $416.18M, most recent closing price at $9.53 Baupost owns 5.08 million shares in this company.
Written by Chris Lau. To get a snapshot for each company, click on the company icon. To get more detailed fundamental information on any of the companies, open the snapshot and select “number cruncher.”
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ARNA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (VRX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Theravance Inc. (THRX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dendreon Corp. (DNDN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc. (IDIX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.