Hardware and software sales are up, and Batman: Arkham Knight has played a role in the growth.
Video games are doing well. Activision (ATVI) or Electronic Arts (EA) are already up significantly in reponse to strang demand for games. And even firms with diversified businesses will get a bump as video game and hardware sales rebound.
According to NPD Group, a market research firm, the Batman: Arkham Knight title topped the June software chart and is one of the reasons hardware sales are up 8 percent year-over-year in the US, with eighth-generation consoles, e.g. Xbox One, seeing a 15 percent increase. Game sales are up 21 percent.
Strong consumer interest in games bodes well for companies like Time Warner (TWX). The success of Batman: Arkham Knight—Time Warner subsidiary Warner Bros published the game—is good news for shareholders.
For investors interested in pure game makers, look at Take-Two (TTWO). The stock is up nicely, but not like EA which is up 100 percent in the last year:
The Grand Theft Auto franchise, developed by Take-Two subsidiary Rockstar Games, helped by GTA Online, a multiplayer online platform, and downloadable content (DLC) should mean further upside ahead.
Written by Chris Lau
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
1. Activision Blizzard Inc. (ATVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Publishes online, personal computer (PC), console, handheld, and mobile games of interactive entertainment worldwide. Market cap at $18.87B, most recent closing price at $25.98.
2. Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, publishes, and distributes game software and content for video game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and electronic readers, hand held game players, and the Internet. Market cap at $22.53B, most recent closing price at $72.18.
3. Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and distributes interactive entertainment software, hardware, and accessories worldwide. Market cap at $2.66B, most recent closing price at $31.43.
4. Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $72.66B, most recent closing price at $88.11.
(Monthly return data sourced from Zacks Investment Research. All other data sourced from FINVIZ.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Activision Blizzard Inc.(ATVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Electronic Arts Inc.(EA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.(TTWO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Time Warner Inc.(TWX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.